1970's lawsuit Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwampDude, Feb 23, 2014.

1. SwampDude

SwampDude

Hi, I'm kevin. I'm new here.

I'm a guitar player, but today I bought what it seems to be a 70's Japanese Jazz Bass replica for 1,800 mexican pesos (arround 135 american dollars). The guy who sold it to me told me that his cousin (the previous owner) sanded the original brand logo off, because he wanted to put the Fender name on it, but never actually do it. He claims it's a Kasuga bass and that they usually sell on Ebay for arround 900 bucks. He also claimed he had to sell it for cheap, because he was desperate for the money (it's a real pain to sell expensive instruments in the south of Mexico, I'll give him that). I found the bass to be an excellent instrument, so even if he was full of crap, the price was too good to be true.

I made some research and my bass looks an awful lot a like to another off-brand Jazz Bass made by a company called "Antoria", except that mine doesn't have what seems to be a truss rod metal plate cover on the headstock. I'm 90% sure that my bass was made in the FujiGen factory in the 70's, since both brands had their instruments made there during that period (I might be wrong, though).

There's no serial number and no brand name, just some old "Made in Japan" sticker. The pickups are very peculiar. I don't think Fender ever made anything like this. Is there a way I could identify this bass' origin? Also, what kind of Lacquer or polyurethane should I get to paint that ugly sand mark on the headstock? Is it a good a idea to get new pickup covers (however you call them) to give it it's original looks back? I'd like to get as much information as possible about this bass just to be sure I wasn't ripped off. Thanks a lot.

2. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    A lot of those off brands were made int he same factories, so it could be any number of things, but a picture could help some of the experts here to assist you.