1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD 1971 Fender Jazz, original

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by fitbass3p, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitbass3p

fitbass3p Supporting Member

Note: also now for sale - see further down in this post.

So I've been looking for passive Jazz basses since I got back into playing, and this was "the one," I thought. It plays perfectly and sounds great! Of course, once this happens, you're in trouble.

It's too expensive for me to consider gigging this bass in most scenarios, so I bought a couple cheaper passive Jazzes as well. So what do you think happens? One of them, a parts bass no less, plays pretty darn well, sounds subjectively just a little bit better, and costs 20% as much...
    [​IMG]

It's still a great bass, and I'm considering just putting it back in its case, putting it in the closet, and forgetting about it for 10 years. However, in the spirit of GAS, I thought I'd continue the endless search for something else that can be awesome. Enough about that, let's talk about the bass.

-- 1971 Fender Jazz, S/N 305129
    -- Trade value somewhere just under $4k
    -- Now also for sale for $3700 + shipping, OBO?
    -- Black body, W/B/W pickguard, Maple board with black blocks. It's the original Geddy-style!
    -- The neck is crazy thin. It's a very similar profile to a new Geddy, smaller than my other Jazz necks.
    -- Well taken care of, but definitely has some minor fretwear and dings. It's 43 years old! Nothing that affects playability in any way.
    -- A happy 8 lbs 9 oz, maybe a bit less
    -- Everything's original except the case. Except maybe some pickguard screws or something? I'm not going to try to verify that every little screw is exactly the same screw that was on there when the bass was made... The neck, tuners, bridge, body, electronics, pickup covers, and pickguard are original, what more do you want?

[​IMG]

What do I want?
    Quite simply, I have no idea. Otherwise, I'd already have it, right? I'd prefer it not to be too wild a body style, but I'll take a look at just about anything. Trade up a bit, trade down a bit, who knows what might strike my fancy. There are a few simple rules, though:
    1) No more than 5 strings, and no wide-necked 5 strings.
    2) I'd prefer 34" scale, my hands are not really great with the distance or the width.
    3) I'd prefer the body and wood style to be somewhat "normal", but color can totally be exotic, that's fine.
    4) Lighter is better.

[​IMG]

P.S. MattR, if you see this ad, this is completely your fault. The bass you sold me is making me doubt my sanity.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. fitbass3p

3. JCBass

JCBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky, Lakland, Euphonic Audio & Rotosound
  4. fitbass3p

One last bump, then I'm just going to put it away for a few years

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drums1977