1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD 1972 Fender Precision Bass $1500

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ryan0130, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan0130

ryan0130 Supporting Member

For sale is my 1972 P Bass. This has been one of the best playing and sounding basses that I've ever owned. I bought it thinking that I could make myself play a 4 string more often; however, I'm a 5 string guy. The bass has a Hipshot Range Extender that with the flip of a lever can drop from a low E to a D. It has been converted to a p/j setup with the Fender noiseless pickups. Having mid range controls and a pickup at the bridge really expands your tonal possibilities. The bass is fully shielded (no annoying 60 cycle hum). It sounds great and plays like a dream. You won't be disappointed.

Price is $1500 plus shipping. All reasonable offers will be considered. No trades. Shipping will be calculated based upon where you live. Bass will be shipped in a hard case. Can send additional photos upon request.

Bass-back.jpg

Attached Files:

2. TDCbass

TDCbass

Is that a khaler tremolo?

3. ryan0130

Yes. I purchased the bass 3 years ago from a local dealer and the bridge was already in the bass.

4. TDCbass

TDCbass

Is it functional and hold tune well?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ryan0130

Intonation is spot on. Action is nice and low. I do not own the whammy bar nor have I ever used one.

7. christopherogut

christopherogut

I'm not a huge fan of modified vintage Fenders but, wow, that is an AWESOME setup!

8. ryan0130

Thanks! I've been very happy with the tone I get out of it and how it feels under my fingers. I've owned a Sadowsky NYC and I also have a Mike Lull. This bass can hang with them. Harmonics are easy clear. My only real complaint is that it's missing the low B. :)

9. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

10. ryan0130

The nut is 1 5/8". As far as I know, the neck is original to the body.

nut-width.jpg

11. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Rosewood board and a skunk stripe? Those crazy Fender people.......bump.

Neat bass.

12. ryan0130

Thanks. I've really enjoyed it.

Fender was not very consistent in the 70's. I've read countless stories of how what should have been was not actually what happened.

13. ryan0130

Price reduce to $1000. Bump.

14. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nice bass indeed. What evidence do you have that it's a '72?

15. ryan0130

Unfortunately most of the typical evidence that would help date the bass is no longer on the bass. The bass been extensively modified so therefore the dates on the pots and pickups are not present because they are no longer with the bass. Like many Fenders bass necks, most of the neck stamp is gone.

The forms of documentation that I can provide would be considered to be soft documentation (unless another TB member knows something I don't).

I have the bill of sale from when I purchased the bass and the bass can still be found at http://www.atlantabassgallery.com/basses.php?cat=10&cond= It is listed as a "72 P Modified". If you're interested in searching for it in the link, you may want to use your browsers "find" feature. This is a list of every bass that has ever been sold at the Bass Gallery. When I first purchased the bass it had EMG's in it and I had the Fender noiseless pickups with preamp installed. Therefore the bass has four knobs now instead of the three that it had in the Bass Gallery picture.

16. bearsdad1

bearsdad1 Supporting Member

17. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Why the jazz pup "surround" pickguard piece?

18. ryan0130

Whoever (not me) added the J route apparently placed the J pickup a little too far forward in the conversion and then decided to plug it and move it back. When they moved it back, they plugged the first route and placed black pick guard around the current route location to make the bass more aesthetically pleasing. The route plug is descent and I can post picture if you'd like.

As far as the route plug effecting the response or sustain the sustains as well as or better than my Lull or Sadowsky. The bass has a typical P bass response, feel and tone.

Beyond aesthetics, I don't think the plug has any effect on the bass.

19. ryan0130

The bass weighs 9.7 lbs. You can thank the Kahler bridge for that :)

20. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

This thing is so up my alley (play PJs, mod my instruments, prefer vintage Fender specs) that it's ridiculous. Too bad my wallet doesn't agree. :'(

GLWS, this thing looks like a sweet player for a sweet price, and you don't have to worry about devaluing a vintage instrument by modding it!

21. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

id like to see the plug... Is the pickguard piece just a stick on-double side tape? I don't see any screws...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.