1973 Fender Precision (tug bar/thumb rest question)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LouDog92, Nov 29, 2013.

1. LouDog92

LouDog92

I recently picked up a 1973 Precision and everything is original on it, except it is missing the usual pieces like bridge/pick up covers, and tug bar. I don't really want the covers, but since the holes are already in the pickguard for the tug bar, I figured I would install that. I have an factory Fender black plastic one in there for the time being, but just because I know that it is not original, I kinda want one installed from the 70's. I would like the dark maroon one, as it seems that was a distinguishing trait, but my question is, are the bars/rests from the 70's made from something other than plastic? Are they wood or anything? If they are just plastic, I might not bother.

2. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

They've been plastic since the late 50s AFAIK. Might have been bakelite or something for a while. You could always look for one from the 70s on Ebay.

3. LouDog92

LouDog92

Thanks. Yeah, I was looking on ebay at ones from the 70's, and it looks like they were all plastic. So, other than one of the dark maroon colored ones, nothing significant to distinguish them from a modern replacement, as far as I can tell. I think scuffing the new one up to take the new shine off it is the way to go. Can't really see spending $50+ on one just because it was off a 70's bass.

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

You could overpay for one and never know if it's from the '70s or not. Is it really worth that?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LouDog92

LouDog92

Nope. I decided it wasn't really worth it. Like I said, if there was some truly distinguishing trait of a 70's thumb rest, I might be more inclined, but since they seem to be just plastic, I simply scuffed the shiny finish off the new replacement one I had laying around and installed it on my '73 in the original holes. No one other than myself would have any clue either way, so that's what I did. Looks perfect.