1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1973 Jazz bass help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sollie7, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Sollie7

Sollie7

Update: More pictures on bottom on page! I bought the bass and am restoring it. Body is being refinished in Olympic white as I type. More pics and plans page 2 and on...will update as I get more done.

Thinking about picking up this 1973 jazz bass. It has been refinished and currently has older active emgs in it, but it also comes with the original pickups, pots, and jack. Guy claims to have owned it for 15 years and says the previous owner refinished it and installed the emgs.

The serial # on the neck plate checks out, but im also having him send me pictures of the neck date stamp and numbers on the pots. Ill post those up once he sends them.

Assuming everything checks out what is this thing worth. His asking price seems to be pretty good in comparison to what original finish ones go for on ebay, but im honestly not sure how much a refin effects value. Also in fear of it being a really good deal and someone snatching it up before I can, im not gonna say what he's asking :bag:

here's what pictures I have now and like I said ill post up more once I get them. What do yall think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Sorry, but I hate that color.
  3. Sollie7

Sollie7

Yeah im not the biggest fan of it either with the bound and blocked neck, but think it would look better with a pick guard on there.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

As a rule, a refin cuts the value of a bass in half. If it's a spectacular refin, a bit less. That bass, with the swapped electronics and what appears to be a amateur paint job - I'd say that's a $1k bass, max.
  5. guitargarage

guitargarage Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of Guitar Garage
    I'd get some detailed pics of the body with the control plate, neck and pick ups removed - and there should be SOME trace or shadow of the holes for the pickguard, unless the refinish was with some heavy poly or a million coats of lacquer.

Also - if those are active EMGs - where's the battery hidden ? Under the controls ?

On the value - a decent rule of thumb is that if all the parts are original (maybe with the exception of say pickguard screws, etc.) and the refinish is well done and "accurate" ( I'm pretty sure that color wasn't offered in '73) - and it comes with the OHSC - its probably "worth" around 60% of "full retail" for the most common original color (sunburst) - or the VG Price Guide price.

I define "worth" as what you can sell it for, by the way :)

That of course is a rule of thumb - if it has a wonky neck or something like that, you'll probably get less for it.

So flipping through the 2014 VG Price Guide - I see $2700 to $3400 for a sunburst '73 - so you'd be looking at something like $1600 - $2000 with the original hard case maybe?
  6. guitargarage

Disclosures:
    Owner of Guitar Garage
    Wow ! And I thought my number was low ! lol

I will point out that a black block 4-bolt Jazz Bass neck with correct tuners (they look right) would easily sell on Ebay for around $700 - add in the neckplate, bridge and pickups and you're probably up to $1150 without the body or case or other parts.
  7. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

I'd make sure that's the original body. Without any screw holes for the pickguard or chrome covers, it could be that the holes were just filled before it was refinished, but it could be a Warmoth body or something too. Does it have the "Fullerton bump" in the lower cutaway?
  8. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

Yeah, the neck alone if it's unmolested, is worth about $1000-1200 w/o the tuners.
  9. Sollie7

Sollie7

Thanks for the responses, I think im going to go ahead and pick it up as long as the additional pictures he's sending check out. It includes a hard shell but its not the original.
  10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

The good news is there's obviously not a battery route hidden under the pick guard, hopefully there's not a battery box routed into the back of the bass. If there is then that pretty much reduces the value to "parts bass" status. Even at that the bass parted-out without the body is worth over a $1000.

It would be good if the original pickups worked, if one or both have to be re-wound then that's a deduction for sure.

It's hard to tell from those photos, but if the contours of the bass are still crisp and the quality of the prep work that went into the refin is good it's possible you could blow a factory color right over the existing paint with a minimal amount of prep work. Install the original electronics, find an old RI pickguard and you've got an pretty nice, mostly original jazz that's been refinished.
  11. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I have a 72 and a 73 J and a 73 & 74 P
    Impossible to give an appraisal as mentioned above regarding an original body and if the stock pup works; bring an ohm meter.

These J basses are known for ski jump necks when used with stiff strings (like Rotosounds) although some ski jump for no reason.

It could be an original neck, dead pups, and a pile of parts
    Whenever something is this modified I immediately become suspicious.
    The refin does hurt value but not 50% for this era IMO.

If it's even the remote bit pricey, I would save your money and by the real deal as it may be only a real neck
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

We seem to agree on the refin math, it's the base value where we differ. I think you're right on the parts value. Having just looked at ebay, it seems I'm on the low side of what '73 Jazz basses are going for these days. Seems refins w/missing original parts are running in the $1,600 range. Which I will say surprises me.

Still, I wouldn't want to get into that bass for anything more than the value of the parts. And consider that unless you love that red color, you're going to have to pay for another refin, which will cost you around $400.
  13. guitargarage

Disclosures:
    Owner of Guitar Garage
    Yeah - I get sorta astounded by the prices of parts especially ! Just a sign that I'm getting old I guess .. old n cheap ... :)
  14. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

refinished i don't thinks its worth too much at all. Sad...
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Yeah, I concur that the neck alone could be a 900-1200$ piece. If you can get it for $1500, I'd consider that reasonable. The paint job doesn't look bad, but the color obviously is an 'acquired' taste. I'd be budgeting in a strip and refin and either an attempt to find an original pickguard or be aware that you're going to take some other 'hits' in value down the line.

In stripping it you may be able to figure out if this is an early 73 (tugbar) or a late 73 (thumbrest) Jazz.
  16. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Reminds me of geddy lee, tort or black pearl would look awsome i think!
  17. millsbass5

millsbass5

I think it's bad ass. Especially minus the p/g. And, those older EMG's, with the original pups coming with it? If the price is right, and she plays well, I'd be all over it.
  18. Sollie7

Sollie7

Heres some more pictures he just sent me...what do yall think?

Attached Files:

19. Sollie7

Sollie7

Last

Attached Files:

20. Sollie7

Sollie7

It's normal for 70s bass to not always have a date stamp right? (from what I can see there is a penciled on "A"though) From what I can tell the pots say: 304-7436. Which would date it to 1974....neck plate is def a 73 though. Is that also normal?