1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

1973 Rickenbacker 4000 - $1450 shipped Rare!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by PubliclyViewable, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PubliclyViewable

PubliclyViewable Supporting Member

SOLD

I thought that my credit card could absorb this purchase, but with me having two other Rick 4001's with luthier Paul Wilczynski and the bill that will result from that work, I have to sell this guy :rollno:

You may remember this bass from eBay, where it was listed as a 1978:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121133479583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Note the strings on that thing! Yep, it's E-A-D-B. Huh. :confused:

After I received the bass I confirmed that it's actually a 1973.

-No extra holes in headstock indicating larger Schaller tuners... Must have had small-body Grover tuners in the past; has larger-post Grovers now,
    -3-piece set neck, so it's not pre-'72
    -jackplate indicates Jan. of '73,
    -bridge and strap buttons look original to the bass and are vintage style,
    -it has a black p/g and raised-letter truss cover. I'm positive that they were added later (possibly the same time as the tuners) and this originally sported white plastic. Raised-letter truss covers didn't come around till '75-ish...

When I received the bass, it was certainly 'used', to say the least!

The bridge had about 15mm of bridge tail-lift, which was straightened, drilled and screwed. I made an aluminum shim from flat-stock for the truss rods. I cleaned both pots, and confirmed pickup/electrical path fidelity. The bass-side of the fretboard had started separating from the neck at the nut, so the area was cleaned and re-glued over a 3-day period. The treble side had just started to lift, so I applied a small amount of cyanoacrylate around the area and clamped it well. I strung it with a brand new set of D'Addario Half-Wound 105's (my favorite flat-style string), and set it up nice and low. The neck is rock SOLID. :D

I've been playing the 4000 at every rehearsal and depending on when it sells, I will absolutely gig with it as well. I don't have any issue with the Seymour Duncan pickup as some Rick owners do; to the contrary!! Through my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500/Eden 410XLT this bass is covering EVERYTHING I throw at it! I LOVE this bass, but I made a mistake putting in an eBay best-offer when I already had too many pokers in the fire. After I got this completed my Precision and Foundation have quite literally gathered dust!

So what are you getting?

-A very rare pre-74 Rick
    -new strings on a fresh set-up with all of the hard shopwork taken care of!
    -free shipping

What would I do if I could keep it?

-get a pickup cover
    -replace black p/g and nameplate with white NOS replacements
    [DEL]-order new nut material in white and cut.[/DEL] - Done (in black)! Thank you, Webtroll!

The way that things are looking for me and my credit card balance, I may also have a Mapleglo '73 4001 for sale as well in the near future. At $1450 shipped to the Conti 48, I am losing slightly on the sale... I just want to get this bass into the hands of a bassist that will PLAY this thing! The frets are in AWESOME shape, the neck is solid and it is 100% ready for the road. When was the last time you saw a 4000 at a gig?!

Thank you for looking!

Attached Files:

2. PubliclyViewable

Pics:

Attached Files:

3. PubliclyViewable

More pics:

Attached Files:

4. PubliclyViewable

And more pics:

Attached Files:

5. PubliclyViewable

Fretboard clamping:

Attached Files:

6. PubliclyViewable

Trussrod shim. And you can also see the shim I had made for this nut. I don't have the material to make another nut, and it does the job now, but should ultimately be replaced:

Attached Files:

7. PubliclyViewable

Bridge repair. The current state of the bridge is even closer to the body, as I have been periodically been giving the new tail screws 1/8th turns to further seat it:

Attached Files:

8. PubliclyViewable

And here are the new saddle screws and a shot of the added bridge screws. The original saddle screws were SHOT! I had to drill and use an easy-out to remove two of them:

Attached Files:

9. woodyng

woodyng

Wow,bloodywanker,you should change your handle to "full disclosure" or something,lol. Nice bass,decent price,good luck!
    I already have a nice white '74 4000,myself,that,yes,does get gigged regularly.
  10. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

that thing is HOT
  11. PubliclyViewable

Haha, yeah, the name wouldn't fly on a website under the Queen's flag, but it's just a novelty here in the states :smug:

Any pictures of your '74?! I love them in white!
  12. kcole4001

kcole4001

Free bump for a rare 4000.
    I have a '76 in FG that I gigged for about 20 years.

The original tuners on yours were probably closed back Grovers with either flat or wavy keys since the holes aren't visible.
    Very hard to find and darned expensive when you can find 'em!

I agree with you about the SD pup.
    I had one for a few years, and while I didn't like it in my 4001, it absolutely killed in the 4000.
    Really thickened up the sound, a very powerful passive pup!

Good luck with the sale.

P.S.: how is the balance?
    Mine neck dives noticeably, but is manageable.
  13. PubliclyViewable

Nice! A pre-'72 neck through example in Fireglo would be my ideal Ric! Either way and in any year the 4000's look killer in FG...

I use a 4" leather Italia strap that makes the bass feel very balanced indeed. If it was a smaller strap or nylon, it might be a different story :confused:
  14. heliotropic

heliotropic Supporting Member

Does this have the routing to where a neck pickup would be?
  15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

If I only had the funds. One of the things I hate about Rics is the body binding, and this doesn't have any. Pretty bass, glwts
  16. PubliclyViewable

No, it's a true 4000 with no extra routing. Thanks for asking!
  17. PubliclyViewable

18. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    I remember that one from ebay...
  19. PubliclyViewable

I put the eBay link in the original post. Don't you need another Rick, Jaymi? :p
  20. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    I do...would love to have it also...not sure if I have anything you want though :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.