1975 Carl Thompson - Mod or Restore?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaddAnthony_59, Sep 25, 2013.

1. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I'm the Proud Owner of a well historied Carl Thompson that is still in fairly original condition. (The Baldini Bass, which was owned by Don Baldini, AKA Don Baldwin.)

See this thread for some history & Pics...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/1975-don-baldwin-baldini-bass-carl-thompson-685866/

It came with Schaller humbucking pickups wired passively. There are 3-way toggles wired for Parallel/Mute/Series, and 3 controls, Vol/Vol/Tone.

The pickups are about shot, and at least one of the controls has been replaced already, and another is really scratchy, even after being cleaned and lubed.

My thoughts are to have the pickups replaced with the same pickups if I can find them, or have the originals rewound. Or! I have a 1991 Les Paul bass, which for all intents & purposes (Intensive Purposes?) is a Les Paul Shaped Thunderbird. Passive MudBuckers with Vol/Vol/Tone controls. I upgraded the pickups in the LP with Bartolini Classic Sound units, and had each wired with a 3-way toggle giving them Series/SingleCoil/Parallel settings. The bass sounds AMAZING! (Very Roscoe Beck!) It would require a Hint of Routing to get the slightly larger Bartolini units to fit the body, but the 3 tone controls and the 2 toggles are already there, just waiting to be wired in. (I would replace the Pots & Toggles as well!)

I have a Very Skilled luthier that will accomodate me with either decision. What would you do if this Storied Instrument were in your hands?

2. Gbass75

Gbass75

Pics!!! PiCs!!! PICS!!!!!

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I'd leave it stock, as different and rare as it is.

"pickups are about shot:"
    Man, in 40 years of playing, I've never, ever had a pickup go bad.

What does "pickups about shot" mean and how does that manifest itself?

4. eukatheude

eukatheude

I'd post pics! Pics!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

Pics, you teasing ********!!!
    On topic, I'd restore it functionally, modding if necessary for tone but NOTHING that couldn't be easily reversed; nothing structural unless absolutely required.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

8. Matthijs

Matthijs

9. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    "Before the trade the original pickups were replaced with Bill Lawrence humbuckers."

Bummer.

"Put the originals back in"
    Yay!

I'd sure vote to leave it stock.

10. eukatheude

eukatheude

Whoops, shame on me for skimming.

EDIT: Sorry for the derail, what happened to the DHuff Z4 pics?

11. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Please do not re-route the bass! That is a peace of history you have and maybe something to hold on to and sell years from now to add to your retirment. I also do not see how a pickup can be about shot. This is not to diss you but I have found they either work or not work. You could try re-magnatizing the pickups. This could help, maybe. It takes $2 and 2 minutes. You could also try adding an active pre-amp as long as it does not require you to alter the bass. Give us pics please, Love CT basses!

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

"I have the original pickups, and will have them put back in once my Local Guru Luthier/Guitar Tech gets caught up"

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

My 65 J had the bridge pickup quit.

Stopped making sound. As I recall it measured open.

I was lucky enough to get another one.

14. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

I had a 76 Carl Thompson. The pickups were no so good back then. Can't comment on what is on them now. But put something good in it. I don't see where changing this bass will do damage. It's not a fender. It is just a cool looking tool.

15. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I just looked at the threads posted and if the original pickups are the black exposed pole peaces. For one the Neck rout does not match up on the bass side and the poles do not line up with any of the strings, based off the pictures. That could be the sound issues you are having. Maybe you do want to add pickups to it and just keep all the original items, so if you do decide to sell it, you can change it back. I would still try and find something that will not require you to route the bass.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Baldini offered that bass to me years ago when I was a student of his..and for no money. At the time I still didn't have the bread. I believe another student later bought it. Good to see it still out there.

17. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    Send it Carl Thompson for a refurbish. Barring that, anything than restoring it to its original condition (including removing that bridge) is a crime.

18. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I did! Those are the pickups that are sounding weak, crackling, and "Wearing Out", for lack of a better term.

19. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I'd have all the pots and switches cleaned, serviced, etc before you conclude the pickups need re-wound;
    but;
    I still vote for stock!

20. Immigrant

Immigrant

It's beyond crime, bordering on sin against bass gods.

That's if you have the cash. Doing any mods like routing, etc, makes the bass worth nothing IMO. If you can't afford to have it refurbed by Carl, sell it to someone who will.

I'm not the biggest CT fan, but I have deep appreciation for his (their) work and see his creations as something soon to be extinct, or at least, endangered. He ain't no spring chicken. Routing that would be the same as having an original Tucker and cutting the fenders so mud tires will fit.

21. eukatheude

eukatheude

Or, more straightforward, i'd try wiring em straight to the jack.