1975 Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Mar 22, 2014.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    For quite some time, I've had a P-bass itch that has needed scratching. Thanks to Scott Cutrer (who has both an excellent collection of vintage basses and a wicked new addiction to Roscoe basses), I was able to get my hands on this lovely instrument:

USED 1975 Fender Precision Bass (Natural)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long ago (based on my first ever bass, a cheap P imitation), I swore off P-basses and 4-strings in general. But I have fallen head over heels in love with this bass. It's got some serious mojo in it, and I'm learning pretty quickly how to coax it out. As soon as I plugged the bass into an amplifier, I knew it was going to suit my immediate needs which include starting an old-school R&B/Soul band with a horn section. This bass just has that sound, it's perfect.

One of tunes I imagined as I played the bass for the first time was "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5. And once I found this isolated bass track on notreble.com, I knew I had that sound for sure.

Here's a rough take of me just trying to figure out the tune. There are a few flubs, but I've got the basic hang of it. This was recorded direct through my REDDI tube DI, and I applied a little compression and reverb to make it sound a little more Motown...

"I Want You Back" (The Jackson 5)

Thanks, Scott!! :bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist:

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Awesome sound, and a cool bass! What strings are on it (or do you know)? That's with the Fralin pickup per the listing I gather?

3. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    ^^ Yep, that's the Fralin P. And it's old flats of some sort...

4. strost

strost

Nice! I'd love an old school soul band here in the burg (I'd love to play bass in one but I guess you have that covered).

Check out St. Paul and the Broken Bones if you have not.

(btw I play sax if you need another :ninja:)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

7. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Heh. Don't look too closely. ;) The neck pocket fit is atrocious, the heel feels like a slab, and the body is 3 pieces of Ash that were haphazardly slapped together... not to knock it, though, I definitely dig it. The bass sounds amazing & plays pretty well. The frets were obviously leveled at some point, but whoever did that work decided not to re-crown them. A trip out to the Lull shop for a Plek job (if not a complete re-fretting) might be in order.

I also want an Alder/RW companion for this, and I think that will probably be a Lull P4. I want to compare new school vs. old school in a situation where both basses are mine (so I can really play 'em without fear of scratches, etc.) and I can spend some time in a group setting trying to make music with them.

8. strost

strost

Hey Greg,

I know at least one person (me) would love to hear this and one or both of your G&L LB-100s playing the same thing. Hell, throw in a Lull for fun.

Let the P-bass battle begin!

9. SteveC

SteveC

Yep. A "P" bass throw down would be cool. As the PJ Roscoe is gone, maybe I want to think about a Lull P instead. How do they compare to the 75 Fender?

10. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'd have to put rounds on the Fender to make it a fair tone comparison, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Lull fit & finish and playability would be quite a bit better!

I'm considering sending the Fender out to Mike for a Plek job (and possibly a complete refret)... I'm weighing that against just selling the Fender and buying a Lull P4. :)

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I definitely vote for selling it to someone who wants a vintage Fender and buying a Lull over having them do the refret and such.

12. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I had a chance to change strings on this Fender P today. I took the opportunity to polish the frets a little bit. They were really gummed up, so I've now got some pretty smooth frets rocking under a set of DR Sunbeams. Big improvement. My liking this bass just took a few steps towards love. Not love yet... but I think a Plek job might get me there. There's plenty of fret left, they just need to be leveled, crowned and polished. Mike and his Plek machine might be just what the doctor ordered.

13. oren

oren

Speaking of I Want You Back, this is my favorite non-Jacksons version:

Hard to believe a band this soulful came out of the New England Conservatory!

Bipslapper and RocketMusic like this.
  14. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, that version is so cool. Proof that a good song is a good song, regardless of style, tempo, etc. And the background vocals on that kill me every time!

15. SteveC

SteveC

Background vocals are huge. Take it to a whole new level.

RocketMusic likes this.
  16. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Cool! looks like my sister's neighborhood in Arlington, MA. Neah Mass Ave.....!