1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1975 Precision with maple neck: refinish???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kander, Jan 4, 2013.

1. kander

kander

I just bought an original 1975 Precision right here on Talkbass (thanks bobunit9!!!). It's everything I've ever hoped of in a Precision: tone, feel, etc. I intend to keep this one and am very hesitant to make ANY changes to it: not out of fear of decreasing its value but because it sounds and feels so good! My quest for "my" own perfect Precision has ended.

There's some small spots where the finish has chipped away due to what appear to have been bumps/dings. Despite these the neck still feels wonderful in my hands. My concern is with some of the exposed wood (again, these are small): my hands sweat more than the average person I'm worried about this possibly corroding the wood on the fingerboard and back of the neck (this only occurs when I'm playing live, not at home).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Am I rightly concerned or just being paranoid? After all, this bass has survived almost 40 years. Should I give it a few years of playing with it myself and revisit this later?

Thanks in advance for any advice or input!
  2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

My .02:

Do NOT refinish. Leave the bass just as it is, and enjoy it.

Just wipe the neck off after you're done playing it.
  3. bolophonic

bolophonic

I would not mess with the finish on that neck at all. That is how they are supposed to be!
  4. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

+1
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Wood doesn't corrode.

Let it alone and play it. Wipe it off after playing.