1976 Fender Precision Salas Custom?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drydoid, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Drydoid

Drydoid

Hey Guys,
    New to the forum and wondering if I could get the communities input?

i work in an electronics repair shop and an older gentleman brought in an old tube Traynor amp for repair and mention he is selling his rig from he bought used in the '80's. He said he had a '76 Precision Fretless that he would like to sell, had it appraised for 3500 said he wanted $2200, I told him to bring it in.

Attached are the pics of the bass, obviously modified and was not originally a fretless. What do guys think the value of this bass woudl be?

It says Salas Custom on the head stock, couldn't find much info on that on the web? Anyone knows what this is about?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I am guessing the Salas Custom is from whomever did the work. That bass is worth less then a grand, as in less then $1000 with all the mods to it. The necks value was cut severely by the defret and the bodys value was cut drastically due to the additional routing done to it.

3. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

$2200 would be high if it was all original.

4. kalanb

kalanb

His appraised value has nothing to do with the value of the bass, except for an insurance claim, and should be irrelevant to your negotiations.

If it's a player (light weight, no dead spots etc.), I'd pay up to 1200. But know that you will likely not be able to get your money back if you decide to sell it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

IMO, This bass is not worth anything near $2200. The fact that it was defretted, and routed out makes it worth hardly anything at all. If you like the bass I would offer him $300. Unfortunately this pre-CBS fender was badly compromised with all the mods. The seller is outta his mind if he thinks its worth that much. FYI, 'Salas Custom" may have something to do with Tim Salas. He's a custom bass luthier in San Diego- might of been him who did the mods. Good luck,
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

OP you are not buying that bass, the guy has it so over-valued he will be insulted if you over him a fair offer, even it if was on the high side. Sorry, no direct price quotes though, supporting members only.

This is a CBS-era Fender, 1976.

8. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

That's a shame.

That would have been a nice player, before the modifications.

9. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    Not a pre-CBS. More concerning than the body routes is the missing truss rod plug on the headstock- looks like maybe the truss rod has been replaced as the bass' TR adjustment is at the body. I briefly followed Salas' worka bout 12 years ago. He mostly made customs using Carvin neck blanks. The looks of this suggest that even though his work may be serviceable, the open TR plug doesn't inspire confidence.

10. capnjim

capnjim

11. Drydoid

Drydoid

Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah I imagine he will not except ant offer as he thinks this bass is worth some money, shame it would still nice to have in the stable.

So if I inspect it again what should I look for with the truss rod?

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The seller is in for a rude surprise. That bass is a wreck. On a good day that thing would be lucky to fetch $500.