1976 Fender Walnut Precision, rosewood fretboard-OHSC-Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by A-Step-Towards, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The time has come to part ways with my holy grail of P basses. Most are attracted to the pre-cbs but I like the 70's models myself. This is a good one and it surpasses my 1974 Fender P bass I owned in every way.

The bass is finished in walnut, it is the name of the color it is not made of walnut. It has lightly worn in some areas. On that back you will notice light buckle rash in the finish. On the forearm cut you will see many years of play wear has worn the finish away. The body is very beautiful like aged wine and a testament that poly does and can age very gracefully.

Someone more familiar with vintage fenders could point this out for fact but I believe 1976 was a transition year for the P bass, meaning the tuners went to chrome instead of nickel, I think the skunk stripe disappeared and the logo changed, this would be before the transition as it has the older nickel tuners, different logo and a skunk stripe. I know enough about vintage fenders to get by but I don't know that much so I am not 100% on this.

The neck is in outstanding condition and a 1 5/8" (or 1.625) is the nut width, otherwise known as a B width. Its hard to believe its close to 40 years old. Its not perfect but the marks on it are very light. The rosewood board has some great grain and lots of red in it. The frets are in great shape. The bass plays perfect with medium action and no fret buzz. The tuners are the nickel plated versions not the chrome platted ones used in the late 70's and early 80's. The truss rod nut is in great shape as is the nut. The neck carries a stamp of 01032962

01 = P bass
    03 = rosewood fingerboard with skunk stripe
    29 = week of the year made
    6= 1976
    2 = tuesday

The strings are older roto sound piano wire strings. I love these strings on the bass and I keep using them. If the buyer wants flats I can install some.

Unoriginal parts-
    *The pickup is not original it is a seymour duncan SP-3
    *The current pots in the bass are not original however as you can see in one photo there is another set of pots in the case, these are the original cts pots dating to 1974. The volume pot has a little tab broken off where the knob mounts so both pots were swapped.
    * The pickgaurd is not original it is a WD

That's it , the rest of the bass including the case is original, the tuners have all the correct flat head screws, the bridge is original and correct , etc.The neck plate doesn't have the fender F usually see on these but has heavy wear, I am unsure whether the plate is original or not and I realize I did not photograph it, I can get a photo of it but like I said it maybe original it sure has the age to it. I do have a correct F plate from the mid 70's so if you would like that installed I could do that but I would keep the plate on it now.......but like I said the current neckplate is probably original.

I should point out that the pickguard screws all look original and correct and the same size but 3 have gone missing over the years, the guard its held on fine by 10 but cosmetically it would look a little better if 3 older aged matching screws were found for it.

Case The case is original and in great shape. Sure it has some wear to the tolex but very little. The interior is in good shape. The logo is all intact, one of the latches is a little sticky but may just need some lube and best of all the original key is still there. This case really makes the bass, you may find some of these around this price but do they have a case this clean? I value the case at $200 alone.

Overall this is a great playing instrument. At the current vintage prices they wont be slipping anymore and only going up so its a rather good time to buy. With the condition of the paint and case this is one that will increase in value, it doesn't have alterations that heavily decrease value like routes or refinished parts. The unoriginal parts are still pretty easy to source and put back to stock if you so wish. You essentially need a pickup and pickguard and it would be 100% original if you installed the old pots. I love how great it sounds and plays to mess around with it to much.

Weight? See post 14

I apologize for all the ramblings but a vintage bass requires such and I am sure I missed something so please ask questions. I wish I could provide sound clips but I dont have the equipment to do so , I will include a CD that the bass played on it was used for most of the songs but track ten on that CD really shines through for the basses tone, its a tone that's remembered.

$1550 Shipped Conus

World wide shipping is possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

I'm seriously interested in this...but weight truly is important to me. Not asking just for the sake of asking. So looking forward to hearing what you find out on that. Thanks -
  3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nice bass! I would clarify the color as being "Walnut." I have a similar '76 in Walnut and it clearly shows the wood grain as does yours. Now, I've seen basses with a more metallic brown finish that shows no wood grain (some folks on this website have them) and while I've never seen a Fender color chart from any era with "Mocha" as a color, I'd grant them that their color is more like mocha than walnut.

In any case, I love the rosewood board with this color. I replaced the maple FL with a rosewood FL S9 neck, so it's this bass' cousin!

Best of luck with the sale; the name of the color shouldn't affect anything!
  4. A-Step-Towards

Thanks for the heads up I edited the title and text.

I to love the rosewood board and is what sold me on the bass, I wonder how many rosewood boards are out there verses maple as I really don't see many rosewood P basses of this era.

Thanks again!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Is that the key I see? Lordy mama.

And a RW board. A buddy had a tele in this color back in the day.

Someone is gonna be happy with this bass.
  8. A-Step-Towards

PM replied and yes thats the original key that has been tested and works in the locks. The case is the cleanest original 70s case I have had or seen really. I am sure there are some cleaner but not unless they just sat under a bed.

Most of my gear I sell comes from trades or its a bass I buy online and it arrives and I don't like it, this is a bass I found in person,tested out,played,talked with the previous owner at length and purchased. I could have bought any P bass but I bought this one and its been a favorite of mine.
  9. DJJazzV

DJJazzV That's impossible! They're on instruments! Supporting Member

Awesome looking bass!
  10. drnknmstr

drnknmstr

Funny, I'm watching this thread. Art Guy sold me a body, you sold me a neck. Now we both are looking at this bass...

And now you're in my neck of the woods.

Oh man...
  11. A-Step-Towards

I just got my scale in the mail.I read many reviews and most said I should get a fish scale by Berkeley, I got a 50 pound one. I weighed the bass twice and each time the weight was 9 pounds 13 ounces.

[​IMG]
  12. MoBe

MoBe

Good price for a `76 in that shape with a good case!
  13. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Man, that's a beautiful bass. I have a maple board cousin to this one. Wish I could swing it.
    GLWTS
  14. A-Step-Towards

I have 3 different brands of flats I can throw on it prior to shipping it out.
  15. A-Step-Towards

I had a guy over to buy another bass. He has been a pro here 30+ years and he asked to play this one, absolutely loved it. As most pro musicians go though he is living in a rather hand to mouth situation so he couldn't grab it.

Still here.
  16. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

17. A-Step-Towards

18. A-Step-Towards

19. Brookmichael

Brookmichael

I keep looking at this everyday.... Serious gas!!!!!
  20. A-Step-Towards

It is sweet, a local guy was suppose to buy it he even wanted to give me a $100 deposit but dropped off the face of the earth so it is here.
  21. Brookmichael

Brookmichael

I pm'd you with my best trade candy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.