1976 P bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by satchelbaglio, Jan 12, 2014.

1. satchelbaglio

satchelbaglio Supporting Member

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Bump for a cool Fender! To me this looks more like a '75, with the large logo and Fender tuners (Fender changed to a smaller logo and Schaller tuners sometime in '76) and the serial number is a bit low for a '76. The neck plate serial numbers serve only as a guide, there are lots of overlaps because at Fullerton plant workers basically grabbed a plate from a bin for the instrument they were working on, the plates were not installed in sequential order. Have you checked the neck code? If it is there and readable that can help to determine the manufacture year. For a maple-neck P the first four numbers should be 0103 (01 = P-Bass model code, 03 = code for 1-piece maple neck); the last four numbers tell the neck manufacture date, first two give the manufacture week, third number = last number of manufacture year, fourth number is week day. Good luck with the sale!
  3. AdriaanVB

AdriaanVB

He's probably right, the serial number seems 1974 or 1975. I have a '76 Precision with #69XXXX (and it also has a TV-Logo though).

Although it's not always the case. If the pickups, pots or neck says something later than the serial, it is indeed a 1976.
  4. satchelbaglio

You Boys may be right, I took a cutout of the pickup and neck codes that were sent to me of the bass being taken apart, seems like it could be a 74. Let me know what you think. Thanks for help.
    Cheers Rob

Serial number stamped on the chrome back neck plate: 609678
    Number stamped in ink at the end of the truss rod side of the neck: 01033814 There is a (/) though the four. There is also a stamp on the neck which states: Herb G.
    Pick-up numbers: Front: L0 3474 Rear: 17 3474
    Pots: Volume: 426 - D21857 - 250K AVD - 2-35
    Pots: Tone – 0(?) Z5V - .05M - 100V
    The number 4 is written with red ink on the bass of the body in the inner pick-up cavity.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

The pickup is made in '74, two last two numbers in the pickup stamps denote the year. The neck code 01033814 you gave is slightly strange.. the first four numbers (0103) are correct for a maple-neck P-Bass, but the 7th number (=1) doesn't fit the 8-number neck coding system, as Fender started using that system in '72. Are you sure it's not a 4?

My '75 P has also a Herb G. neck stamp, it's for Herbie Gastelum who started working at Fender in '61 and spent most working years shaping necks, he later worked at the Fender Custom Shop. I really love the neck shape on mine!
  7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    My 1974 P's serial number starts with 58xxxx.

Most 1976 basses have a 76+5 digits serial #.

I would guess it is a 1975 based on the SN and headstock logo (same as my 1974).

Nice bass. Same colour as mine but I have a rosewood board....
  8. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy Supporting Member

Just recently got a 1978 Mocha P Bass and if this is anything like it these basses kill. GLWTS
  9. AdriaanVB

AdriaanVB

Bump for a great '70s P!

I'm jealous, my '76 is really beat up :D
  10. satchelbaglio

Pulled the neck off had a look at the date stamp. It is as originally stated.
    Original stamp says 0103 3814
    There is a cross / in felt slashed through the 4 and a 1 written in black felt after the 4.
    So is it supposed to read 0103 3811 ?
    or there some kind of add 1 to the 4, somebody knows?
    I betcha Herb G. does!
  11. satchelbaglio

Neck stamp picture.

[​IMG]
  12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    That color is called Walnut

it was a custom color. Not a whole lot of those made in comparison to natutal & sunburst. Sweet!
  13. Stag

Stag

great color!
  14. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Probably; although "Walnut" was not a custom finish (see below). I have a very similar bass in fretless. It's most likely an early '76 (serial # 70xxxx on the neckplate) but the paint is not at all metallic and shows a fair bit of wood grain. It's basically the same hue, but not the same color. Based on the '70s color charts, mine is certainly a walnut; see: http://www.strat-central.com/pics/books/color197677.jpg

The seller here has one that is more metallic and appears to be completely opaque - it's a nice finish; I actually prefer it to mine which simply looks like, well, walnut. There's a member here who has posted a picture a few times who has the same slightly metallic, opaque finish as this one. I've seen several bases with this finish, which some call "mocha," but according to available documentation, the official color was a wood-grained finish called walnut. Whether there was an actual name for this "variant" who knows? My speculation is that, like so many things '70s Fender, there was variability. Perhaps?

In any case, lovely bass; good luck with the sale.
  15. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

16. sonofshel

sonofshel

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses and Mojo-Sonic Bass Cabinets
    Neck width?
  17. satchelbaglio

Neck width at the nut is 1 5/8 inches
    String spacing at bridge around 18.5 mm
  18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Holy poop. My dream bass. I bought one new in 1977. My first " real" bass. Here is a bump for ya.
  19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Wish you took trades, I have a 2001 PRS flametop bass w/ case, drop D tuner....lf ever interested........
    Major Bump!
  20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

21. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My gawd I love this bass