1976 Thunderbird truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dagrev, Dec 12, 2013.

1. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Sorry to have to ask this. I've Googled and find everything but which way to turn the nut to take the forward bow out of the neck (lowering the strings).

Thanks!
  2. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Does the truss rod turn either way and how freely?
    Have you tried it with the strings lose?
    Does it rattle?
    If it doesn't turn put a few drops of WD40 or a Penetrating lube on the end.
    Or tell us more about what it is doing.
  3. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

It seems to turn very well with the strings loose. I don't notice any rattle.

I'm assuming it needs to be turned to the right to lower the strings.

Thanks
  4. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Typically, turning to the right (tightening) will straighten the neck, or put it in a back bow, if already straight. Loosening will create a forward bow ( moving strings farther from the neck. De-tune your strings first. Use you string as a straightedge and sight the neck when adjusting. If you want to be cautious, only adjust by a 1/4 turn each time. Make your adjustment, and re-tune the bass. Give it a few minutes and re-check. It is possible to go too far, too fast, and possibly ruin your truss rod and neck. If you get worried about doing it...just take it to a pro. Good luck and take your time!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Thanks.

I've adjusted many over the years but never a T-bird. Just wanted to confirm so I'm not moving the neck around needlessly.
  7. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Neck is going back nicely now. A little more to go and it will be great. Giving it a Sabbath day of rest today!

Thanks!
  9. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

10. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

This reminds me of why I'm really a P-bass person. Those manly necks don't move much! Can't recall the last time I had to adjust one of my Precisions.
  11. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

I am actually having one of the horror stories of Fenders...having a dickens of a time with mine...I get close, but, it's just not quite there. I am okay for now, but, when I re-fret it, I am striving for perfect. Meh...no worries.