1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1977-8 Fender Jazz Bass $454.54

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scogman, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Scogman

Scogman

Fellow Talkbassians,

Would you buy a 1977-8 Fender Jazz Bass for $454.54?

I've been sitting in with the Royal Bangkok Sports Club house band for some songs now and then for the past 5 years. On Thursday the band leader asked if I wanted to buy the house bass. He bought it in the 70's when it was new. I asked him how much. He told me 15,000 Thai Baht. At 33 baht to the dollar that's $454.54.

First shock was he wanted to sell the bass. Second shock was for how little (I think) he wants to sell the bass. Third shock, he's been the band leader there for 35+ years. :) (Band leader is the drummer).

I told him I thought it might be worth a lot more than that and asked him if he was sure. He said Yes, he would sell to me for 15,000 baht (US $454.54).

I've been playing this bass for the past 5 years when I sit in and it plays very well and sounds great. It's pretty worn, but the thing is 35+ years old and gets played at least 3 times per week for 35+ years. But like I said it plays and sounds great.

It's a black body with black pick guard, maple neck with binding, maple fretboard with white (MOP?) block inlays and a red tint in the headstock. Neck is attached to the body with the 3-hole backplate.

Serial number is S7 NNNNN which puts it as a 1977-8 according to Fender website:
    http://www.fender.com/support/articles/u-s-instruments-product-dating/

Here are some pics of my playing it on Tuesday evening (we are 12 hours ahead of US East Coast):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Can't go wrong at that price. I'd buy it.

3. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

I don't see why not. Go for it.

4. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Get it! Especially if you've played it and know it sounds / feels right, you can't go wrong with a 70's jazz at that price.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Why are you hesitating, you've been playing it for the last five years, unless there is something that your are not telling in your post about it? If not, I would go all over it if I were you...

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The price you're being offered is at 1/3 of the full value. Absolutely buy it.

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Considering you know and work with the guy and presumably will continue to work with him for the foreseeable future, it seems like a no-brainer assuming it's legit. I'm really curious why he's selling it for a fraction of what it's worth though.

9. Scogman

Scogman

Didn't have 15,000 baht on me tonight or a gig bag. Will be bringing both to the Club on Thursday. :)

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Buy it! The red tint is the lacquer used to finish the headstock turning amber from age and smoke, the fingerboard and back of the neck are poly and don't readily amber.

11. Scogman

Scogman

Not sure why he only want's that much. I did tell him I thought it was worth more. I wasn't sure how much more but looks like its worth quite a bit more.

He said "Mai Pen Rai," (can translate to "No problem," or "Nevermind,"), "15,000 baht OK."

He's a straight up guy and I'm sure wouldn't try to pull anything to upset anyone. I believe it's legit.

Thursday I bring 15,000 baht and a gig bag. Next week I pack it in my bass-case and bring it back to the States :)

12. Scogman

Scogman

I was wondering about that. I had seen a few other 70's strats with the same tint on the headstock.

13. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

I say: 12,000 bahts and not a baht more!

14. Scogman

Scogman

:)

Maybe 12,345 baht and 67 satong.

Looks like 15k baht is more than fair price based on the feedback.

15. Scogman

Scogman

And a real road-worn one at that. Well not so much road-worn as same-club-for-35-years-3-nights-per-week worn. :)

16. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Thats just an unimaginably incredible price, get it for sure! I paid $1,300 for my 77' with replaced pickups and bridge, and that was a steal as far as I'm concerned.

17. Scogman

Scogman

That's a great data point, Thanks much. :)

Khun Dang (the band leader) says its all original (except for the strings). :)

18. og61pbass

og61pbass

If you dont buy it I will gladly take it off his hands for 550.00 shipped...:D

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 or let me get it I'll even give you a finders fee PM me please sir!!!!

20. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Absolutely buy it. Hell, I'd buy it for that, and I'm a lefty!

21. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'd buy it and I don't even like Jazz basses