1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

1977 Ibanez Les Paul NOT lawsuit

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by Anthony Fury, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Fury

Anthony Fury Supporting Member

For your amazement and amusement - one 1977 Ibanez Les Paul copy. Gold hardware, bound & blocked. It's even the right color.

I don't have as many nice things to say about the wear & tear on this one as the Tele Elite I have listed currently, but it does play and sound wonderfully. (All "trouble spots" are pictured.) Couple of good size dings and a noticeable crack at the top. Hey, people pay other people big bucks to "relic" their stuff - all the hard work is already done for you! Mechanically and electronically, it's 100%. Neck is straight and truss rod functions perfectly, no buzzing / high frets or any of that nonsense. Sound-wise, It's got the Jimmy Page thing down, believe me.

This is NOT one of the more-famous "lawsuit" guitars, but it was made in the "transition" period so there you go.

Comes with a REALLY nice Heritage HSC. A flap of the tolex is coming up. If you have more time and patience than I, it should be a snap to fix. Pops says the case alone is worth $100 U.S.D.

100% feedback on "that internet auction site" as well as good feedback here. If you're not happy, I'll make it right. This thing will NOT disappoint.

$450 OBO + Shipping

More pictures at:

http://www.tonybob.com/ebay/ibanez_lp/ibanezlp.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

For clarification....the crack is near the top of what? Super 58's? Thanks
  3. groooooove

groooooove

how is this not a lawsuit guitar?

i thought the term applied to anything that was a copy of something else- this is clearly one of those.

regardless im sure this thing is sweet..
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Lawsuit Ibanez Les Paul's had a Gibson Headstock.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Anthony Fury

Yes, I think this is correct.

I do not know what pickups it has. They have not been changed. If I yank one, will it say what they are underneath?

I took off the pickguard and took some more photos of the crack areas - I hope they answer everyone's questions. I don't have any explanation for the damage. It's a chambered guitar (has a thin veneer top) so it's not quite as bulletproof as a slab body, I guess??

I also took a few more pics of the back, since the planets aligned and I found a good mixture of light / angle / that whole lot. If you click on them (or visit the link in the OP) you can see even larger res pictures. TB code cuts them down a bit.

Weight is 8.9 lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

It's a grossly misused term for damn near any MIJ instrument from the 1970s meant to imply a general good quality. There was as much hit-and-miss of that era from overseas as there was in the U.S. There were some good ones, and there were a lot of dogs.
    What would probably be a more accurate term for many '70s MIJ is: "lawsuit era", but what does that mean or imply? Credit to the OP for accurately describing this example.

Right. There are documented stories around the web that detail what the U.S. importer went through.

No need. It's right here: ;)

[​IMG]
  8. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Those pickups are also known as "flying fingers". Ibanez reissued them on a few of the customs this year. Oh, and you have a PM. :)
  9. Anthony Fury

SOLD! Hope you have a good crowbar. :)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.