1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

1977 Rickenbacker 4002

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Rickenbass, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

How often do you see a 4002 for sale a decent price?? NEVER!! I own two of these wonderful instruments!! I purchased this one several years ago off of eBay. it was a total basket case!! Regardless of what the seller said, the bass had been in water. The electronics were all rusty, except the pups, both were in spec. Every body joint has begun to separate and a few had horrible repairs. The ebony fretboard was cracked from the neck plys shifting.

I sent the electronics out to Dane Wilder and he rebuilt the harness to factory specs. I had him install a push/pull pot on the treble pup to bypass the cap if I wanted to.

The body went to Larry Davis. he completely took the instrument part at every seam, trued up the joints, and re-assembled it. The finish was stripped off and a satin finish applied. A new ebony board was sourced as well.

The bass is brand new top to bottom! The neck is super comfortable to play and is dead straight with super low action. Larry really did a wonderful job of putting her back together. The only non factory item is the pickguard. I have a black plexi guard on her but I will include a Pickguardian correct reproduction multi-lam guard with this sale.

Why am I selling her? Like I said, i own two. My other 4002 is a killer instrument and her sound is better than this bass. The bass that I'm selling feels better and l love the Mapleglo finish! I have sent the pups out to Tom Brantley and he said the magnets needed to be re-gaussed. He re-charged them but they still do not have the tone of my other 4002. When played finger style, the tone of both basses is the same. I notice the difference more when played with a pick. Perhaps the pups need to be re-built or a little more charging. I'll leave that decision to the new owner.

As you can imagine, I've spent a lot of money on this bass. I've spared no expense to bring her back from the horrible condition she was in. She plays like a dream and every functions like it should! This is the earliest 4002 on record!! As most of you know, the 4002 was produced between 1977 and 1984 to compete with Alembic and other high dollar instruments. It is considered a studio instrument because of it's XLR output circuit. I've gigged 4002's live before and the tone is breath taking!! Only several hundred of these instruments were produced and they are prized collectables. There are two on ebay for sale at 4 times what I'm asking.

This bass will come securely packed in a period RIC tolex case with contoured interior. You will not find a better deal on a 4002, anywhere, since you never see them for sale!!

The price is $6500. plus shipping via Fed Ex. (in the continental US) I'd rather insure her for the full amount but that option is up to the buyer. For overseas buyers, Shipping her via Fed. Ex will be expensive but it's your decision on how you want her shipped. I'd strongly suggest Fed. Ex since they have an excellent track record!!.

I can provide better/more photos if you contact me and provide your email address. The entire re-built procedure was chronicled here.

http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409082

Joe

Attached Files:

• sale4.jpg
      sale4.jpg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
    • pg2.jpg
      pg2.jpg
      File size:
      435.6 KB
      Views:
  2. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

I have to admit I saw this and stopped dead and had to check twice to make sure that read 4002! Great price on a tremendous and super rare bass.
  3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

What did this bass go down with the Titanic or something, I'm amazed he was able to save this bass, did he dry all the pieces of the bass he took apart, I figured all the wood of the bass would be warped beyond saving, WOW!!!!
    Great restoration story and good luck with the sale.
    Truly an AMAZING instrument, for some weird ass reason I think of that movie with Samuel Jackson called "The Red Violin" about the history of a violin path thru time since it was built in the 1600's or 1700's, I know this doesn't exactly apply here but crap look at those restoration photos, MY GOD that is truly amazing how this instrument came back from the dead.
    Once again best of luck on the sale, if I had the money I would buy this bass from you.
  4. Rickenbass

Thanks guys! My guess is the bass sat in water and then was stored someplace to dry out. When the seams began to split, glue was poured in to try to keep it together. I don't know when the damage occurred or how long she sat in disrepair.

The case she was sent in was a mess. It did not protect the instrument and it had a hole in the side. The prior owner seemed to not care too much about her or he did not know what he had in his hands. I saw it as a project worth taking, and I'm happy to have dome so! Larry did a wonderful job of saving her!

Sepp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Let me have a Diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, ... Supporting Member

That is awesome!
  7. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Seriously folks I have to Bump!!!! this.
  8. ajish4

ajish4 Supporting Member

I've played this amazing bass. I've seen it go through a few of those restoration stages in person and had my doubts that it would come together as well as it did. I'm still blown away by the work Larry Davis did on this one.

It has KILLER low action and has some fantastic sustain. Very sweet, comfy neck.

I know of a 4002 that JUST SOLD for $6500.00 and it needed a LOT of work. This is a steal. I wish I had the coin, I'd grab it in a second.

Best of luck Sepp, I know I'm going to regret this in years to come!
  9. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    THis is a cool one!
  10. Rickenbass

Thanks guys! BUMP!
  11. Rickenbass

Bump. Going to evilbay with a bump in price on Sunday. No one will find a finer 4002 anywhere on the planet for less than this one! Just sayin!

Joe
  12. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

I just read through the entire restoration. OMG.

I wish you the best on Evilbay. I see this going to Dubai or to some Russian billionaire that owns tiny giraffes. I do hope it goes to someone that will actually use it.

Anybody call Chris Squire or Pat Trewavas?
  13. Rickenbass

Bump. I seriously can't believe I've not sold this yet!
  14. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

I just saw this ad and wondered why this was still here myself! This is a Holy Grail bass, and if I could afford it, it would be GONE!