1979 Fender Precision.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elkkid2, Feb 28, 2014.

1. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

I'm thinking of selling a fairly clean 1979 Fender Precision. (USA), It's a sweet playing and sounding Bass. The screws for the Thumb rest were there, but no Thumb rest,...so that's a replacement part. As far as I know, everything else is stock. It has a newer after market Hard Shell Case.
    My question: How much is it worth?
    And: Does anyone here want to buy it?
    Question #3: How do you post pictures here? --It's asking for an email address, and I've never been asked for that before.
    I'll put a craigslist ad up,(with a high price, I think!)
    Here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/4340595703.html
    Thanks!
    elkkid

2. lowdown3

lowdown3 Supporting Member

use Photo bucket.

3. elkkid2

I haven't figured that out either!

4. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

I sold a nice one on e-bay about six years ago for a little over $900. Went to Belgium. Had old case, fair condition, and a new SKB case. Only mark on it was on the back....looked like someone leaned it up against a hot radiator at some point and put a burn mark on it. But It didn't show when you played it . I couldn't deal with the weight, though. Played it out one nite and had to sit the last set. It weight's an issue, better check it out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elkkid2

Really? This one is very light! I guess they all are different from one another.

7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

to get good money out of that bass
    you're going to have to say what it weighs and probably take pics of the numbers on the pots and the pickups...

8. elkkid2

Well, I weighed it, 10 pounds flat, on the digital Scale. I hate it when some one tears apart a Bass...it loses ALL mojo and cool with me when someone does that. But! I do have a Fender Tech I trust...I might let him do all that stuff.

9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

$900 seems extremely cheap for a clean '79, IMO, while $2k seems quite high. (BTW, the white pickup covers in the CL ad don't seem right for '79.)

10. elkkid2

Somewhere in the mix, eh? I seem to remember lots of white pick up covers back then, but I'm not sure! I guess I'll have to dig in deeper and find out more. (Who in the World would ADD white pickup covers?) Lol!

11. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Is the bass in the CL ad your bass? If so, the pickguard doesn't have holes for a chrome pickup cover (ashtray), which also would not appear period-correct for a '79.

12. elkkid2

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

thats an early 80's bass with a s9 serial. realistically expect around 1100 or so unless you want to wait forever for a buyer at a higher than market price.

14. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

IIRC, the S9 serial number prefix was used over multiple years, from '79 into the early '80s. According to "The Fender Bass, An Illustrated History," Fender went to white PU covers in '82. There was no ashtray then, but also no thumbrest. It's possible somebody drilled an additional hole in the PG for the thumbrest. You may wish to remove the PG and see if there are holes underneath, flanking the PU, for an ashtray. If so, the PG may be aftermarket. The white plastic covers also could be aftermarket.

15. elkkid2

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm thinking a lot of questions have been raised. I'll take it to Jim Harryman, He's a Fender certified Technician. (# NSS5121.)
    I'll have him open it up so I can take some Photos.

16. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

Looks more like an '81 or something, I know there are basses from the early 1980s with 1970s serial numbers on them as they used up the old decals

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

10lbs isn't considered "very light". 10lbs is considered heavy. "Very light" would be in the 8lb. range.

I agree with narud that $1,100 is the right price for a quick sale. I also agree that this bass is probably an early 80's model.

18. elkkid2

I've had plenty of Basses that weighed more than this! Try a Les Paul recording Bass some time!

19. elkkid2

My old Kramer was at least 20 lb's!! :)

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Les Paul Recording bass... pffft! I have basses that make those basses feel like they're made of balsa wood.

It may not seem that way to you, but 10lbs. is considered a heavy bass by the vast majority.

Heh. I'm sure it felt that way, but the real weight was probably around 12lbs.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  21. elkkid2

Yeah, that old triumph was heavy, and the Kramer was more like 15.