~1979 Gibson Ripper SECOND value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by negativefx, Jan 6, 2014.

1. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

What would you value a Ripper SECOND at? Owner bought it in '79. All original hardware and case included. Needs some TLC.
  2. negativefx

I should note that the seller is asking $800 which is way too high considering serial'd rippers are going for around $700.
  3. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Do you have any pictures? It's difficult to tell without seeing the condition. I have seen them in various places on the internet in a wide price range. For example, GC used has a few priced anywhere from $700 to $1400.

When you say second, you mean it has the word SECOND stamped on the back of the headstock? In otherwords, it came from the factory with a finish flaw or something? I have a grabber like that.
  4. Insouciance

Insouciance

Depends on the color and the condition, and if it has the case. I paid $615 for my first Ripper almost 10 years ago. It is one of the Ebony ones, with the original case.

I paid $1500 for one of the 20 or so fretted sunbursts that were made in 1978. That one is my holy grail.

I paid $1300 for a NEAR MINT 1978 blonde Ripper. Way too much...but hey I paid it, so someone else would too.

SECOND just means there was a finish flaw. It will be hard to tell 30 plus years down the line what exactly the flaw is.

Buy it, you will likely not regret it. Just be prepared for every other bass player to compliment you on your sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. negativefx

Yes, SECOND rather than a serial number stamped on the headstock.

Attached Files:

7. negativefx

Pictures of the body. I wonder if this is the original pickguard or a barely-fitting replacement.

Attached Files:

8. negativefx

Full frontal shots

Attached Files:

9. BassKnuckle

BassKnuckle Supporting Member

Value is often times in the eye of the beholder. I know, that helps you exactly 0% but it's all i got :) Either the 2nd could take away from the value because it's a factory defect, or it could add to it because it's one of a kind. but like msact said, GC has them from 700 to 1400. I can say this tho, Would you be willing to shell out 800 bucks on a bass without hearing/playing it first?

EDIT, It IS a beautiful bass tho
  10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

There were a lot of Gibsons from this era stamped 2nd that were great players with no glaring imperfections.

After Henry W. took over the company he supposedly only wanted cosmetically perfect instruments in the market place.

I have a good friend who retired a couple years ago and part if his job was removing hardware and band sawing necks and bodies that failed inspection.

You would think that would eliminate all the issues seen with some recent Gibbys.
  11. negativefx

I wouldn't pay for a bass without playing it. The catch is I need to buy some strings to slap on it to test it. :) Also I've seen a few ebonys go on here for 700 so trying to figure out if I offer him $600 or not.
  12. negativefx

So you know your Rippers. If I put strings on it to try it out... 45-100's?
  13. Insouciance

Insouciance

Looks beautiful. $800 is slightly steep given there is no bridge or strings, but you could get a vintage bridge for no more than $200...or a newer one for less than $100.

Buy it, fix it up, give it the love it deserves. Try and haggle on the missing bridge.
  14. negativefx

Hah! Not the ones I've seen unfortunately. :) I got a 2011 LP Studio that was horrible out of the factory. Granted it was a faded studio for $699 (I haggled to $540), but still... shouldn't have fret wire overhangs, dings in the finish, and a jacked up nut.
  15. pfox14

pfox14

The price seems high considering its condition and the missing parts. I've seen some on eBay for that price, but they are complete.
  16. msact

My Grabber has SECOND, but it also has a serial number. Anyway, 35 years out a finish flaw is irrelevant.

If it had all the parts, it might be worth taking a shot at. Given missing parts and your question as to the originality of the PG, I don't think so. You could see what a complete one goes for, price up the replacement parts and then back into what it would be worth. Not being all original would knock the value down in my book.
  17. msact

One thing about the pickguard. They did have a tendancy to warp. I can't tell if it's warped or if it doesn't fit right.
  18. Insouciance

Insouciance

Enormous Gibson bass fan. Been playing solely Rippers and RD's for about 10 years now. You know how there are die hard Fender dudes that scoff at anything other than Fender? I'm a Gibson elitist. I love them, and wear it on my sleeve...but try not to be overly militant. People all have opinions.

As far as strings...I am an advocate for Rotosound Swing Bass 45-105. They are extra long scale...so you can put the strings through the body...extra sustain.

The pickguards do have a tendency to warp, and some can be pretty bad...but there are some at home remedies to fix it. Or buy an NOS one...they pop up on Ebay time to time.
  19. msact

My 78 Grabber has a slight warp in the PG. I consider it to be part of it's character. Grabbers/G3s/Rippers ... all very cool basses.

[​IMG]
  20. negativefx

Sorry, should have noted that the bridge parts are included, just not in the picture. As for the pick guard, if it's the original and warped... no problem. I'll just cut a new one for show and keep the original handy if I ever decide to resell.
  21. msact

Someone recently posted that you can put it between a couple sheets of glass, leave it in the sun for an hour and then leave it cool under a stack of books. I'm not brave enough to try that, but it sounds like it might work.