1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1980 Fender Percision Special.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyGonBass, Aug 3, 2013.

1. JimmyGonBass

JimmyGonBass

Got a 1980 Fender Precision Special bass, Placid Blue with Gold hardware. I added a Badass gold bridge on it and had a Bartolini active jazz pickup on it years ago. Its got a Alder body with a maple neck, weights a ton. Anyone else got one ? I should slap on some Thomastik-Infeld flat wound strings on it to see what it would sound like. Anyone know what its aprox. worth is ?

2. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Depending on condition....$600-$800....Do you have the original pickups?...

3. JimmyGonBass

JimmyGonBass

The original Precision PU's are still on it. I saw a red one on Ebay listed for $1499. Don't know if its got any bids though.

4. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    then more like $800.....market is kind of weird...but a solid $800...I LOVE those...you want to trade for a USA Dean Custom shop bass..I paid $1500? Just asking...good luck on the bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyGonBass

JimmyGonBass

If I get another bass it will be a Musicman Stingray 5 string fretless.

7. Rob S

Rob S

Here in Los Angeles. There was a blue one missing the thumb rest for $1200 which appears to have sold. A CAR got posted today in Simi Valley for $900 with everything augmented by Bad Ass bridge. It's pretty rough though.

The one on eBay currently for $1499 opening bid looks pretty sweet.

I consider these to be a collectable rarity and with all collectables, there is a considerable premium for instruments that are all original and mint.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I have a white one. Made of northern ash body, yeah weighs more than I care for a Fender to. The necks are also like baseball bats.
    These already come factory with a high mass brass bridge bigger than a Badass, so why did you change that?

The extra pickup hole cut into the body is what's going to kill the value. Over the last 10 years I've seen untouched models of these things go from 900 to about 1300.

You can certainly try the Thomastiks...I didn't like their ultra light noodley like tension. And on my P Special with that fat neck they wouldn't even pull the neck into tension even with the truss rod fully loosened, so the strings just layed on the frets.

9. bassteban

bassteban

Asking a bass' worth requires a supporting membership- it's a rule here, and this thread may get deleted.