1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

1980 Ovation PF-22 Magnum SetNeck Prototype (1 of 10)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Stephent28, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Decided it was time to move a few of my basses out to make room for other GAS requirements.

This is a 1980 Ovation PF-22 which was a prototype Magnum with a Set Neck of which 10 were produced. It is a more modern, sleeker design than the Magnum series but contains the same serious mojo that the big ass pup provides.

This is a great sounding and playing bass that is just not seeing any action and should go to a home where somebody will love it and play the hell out of it.

Still love my Magnums and my fretless will be with me forever.

Looking for $1300 shipped CONUS. Not interested in any trades.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics available on request.
  2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Very tempting. But, as I just moved back to New Orleans last week to start up my own guitar repair shop, any unnecessary expenditures will have to wait. I guess I'll just have to be content with my two Magnums.
  4. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

Sweet. If it was only fretless...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    That can be arranged.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    I would do terrible, unspeakable things to this bass if it were to end up in my hands. Those who want to see this bass unmolested had better jump on this quick!
  8. Stephent28

Hey, its a prototype.....so the unspeakable things might make it closer to that dream bass.

Fretless would be a cool change cause that Mag pup rips the bottom off.
  9. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

I love these old Magnums. Bump and glws
  10. Stephent28

Thanks Slappa,

These really are cool but under appreciated basses. This proto is especially nice because it weighs less than a normal Magnum yet has the same brute force pup that can sound good on just about anything.
  11. Stephent28

I am shocked that a Magnum lover who knows how incredible these basses sound and play has not snatched this up.

Yes, it is a different body style but the same neck and thunderous pickup as the Magnum I -IV
  12. willsellout

willsellout

Amazing, free bump for you! I'm surprised a young Tool aficionado hasn't snatched this up. Paul D'amour played these basses quite a bit in the early days, and if you want to cop that kind of tone, here's your chance!
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    Actually, no he didn't. He played a Magnum I or II, and largely used the bridge pickup for those early recordings. This is a prototype, which doesn't have the bridge pickup, and the mudbucker has been moved to the P-bass position. Still a really cool bass, and I might be inclined to scoop it up if I wasn't too busy spending money on tools for my guitar repair shop.
  14. willsellout

willsellout

I spoke to him at a show in the early 90's (He played a Magnum I that show) and he said the studio recordings of Opiate were done with a Ray, but he used the Magnum on the live tracks of Opiate. I think this conflicts with some other info out there.

Thats beside the point, my comment came about because the OP said it has the same sound. If they can get those sounds with this bass, then it surprises me a Tool fan hasn't bought it.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    Interesting. Well, as an owner of two different Magnums, I can tell you that he's certainly not getting that sound out of the mudbucker. The bridge pickup is pretty mean, and that Opiate sound can be very easily had with just the bridge pickup and a Mesa Bass 400. Of course, the neck pickup has actually become one of my favorite tones as I've gotten older and less aggressive in my playing - I mix it with my Rio Grande P-Zazz for almost all my gigs these days. By itself it's a bit muddy, but with another pickup? Damn. It completely kills.

Incidentally, Paul D'Amour just put out an album a few months ago, which is pretty damn good.
  16. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah, I have it and love it. Although half the songs were released previously a few years back. I'll take what I can get though, I'm a big fan of his work.

Kind of a thread derail, but a free bump! :D
  17. Stephent28

Well, I have a Mag 1 and the Proto and through my Puma 900 Fearful stack I can get them both to sound damn close......and in the mix I would challenge anyone to pick one over the other.

But maybe your ears are better than mine cause I certainly know my hearing has been somewhat compromised from over 40 years of playing......25 of it way to loud!
  18. Stephent28

and the thread derail is a good kind of derailing.

There were a LOT of bands that played Magnums back in the day and most current players are clueless to that fact.

Educational AND a bump for a great bass.....a real WIN WIN :hyper:
  19. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah this is a killer bass, and quite a looker. Not to mention rare as hens teeth. If I had the money I would love to own it.
  20. willsellout

willsellout

Shoot me a PM with what you have in mind. I'm really hoping for a sale, so no guarantee, but this bass is really something.
  21. Stephent28

Of course, Willsellout's bass was sold as soon as I expressed interest.

Oh well, new day new bump for an old but great bass