1980s Peavey Foundation appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Feb 23, 2009.

1. NickInMesa

NickInMesa

This is probably my best bass ever.

I am not a collector. When I don't like a bass that much, I sell it (the opposite of G.A.S.)

The only bass I will certainly never ever sell is my 1983 Foundation.

Time to start a club?

[​IMG]
  2. BassicJohn

BassicJohn Supporting Member

The Peavey Foundations were great basses. I love my 86 S version. It is very resonant.
  3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I believe there is a club.

I have a fretless (facotry) + a special order mahogany fretted.

This is a VERY controllable bass.
  4. NickInMesa

NickInMesa

I have not seen the club ... There is a Peavey 80s club and a Foundation database thread, no club.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

The Peavey Foundation Database is probably what he's talking about.

I can't quite join though as I have a 1990 Foundation. '80's style body though.
  7. NickInMesa

NickInMesa

Well, the thing about the 80s Peavey is the awesome sound of the super-ferrites as well as the slim neck. The beefy bridge is also part of the equation, but not as much as the neck and pickups.
  8. EagleMoon

Yeah, mine looks just like yours but with a maple neck and different knobs. Here's a pic. I don't really need a number since mine is over the line. :)

[​IMG]
  9. NickInMesa

NickInMesa

Well, if we start a club, it will be for all years!
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    If you start a club, I reserve #007.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Sweet looking burst there, E-moon. What's the serial # on that badgirl? Odd to see a trapazoid bridge on a '90?
  12. EagleMoon

I contacted Peavey to find out when it was built and they told me it shipped on 5/10/1990. :) It's got the smaller headstock as well.
  13. NickInMesa

NickInMesa

When I left my Foundation at the luthier for a setup, he was doubtful and treated it as if it was some sort of cheap junk at first.

When I came to pick it up, his attitude towards it had magically changed and he was treating the instrument with more respect.
  14. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

I have an 85 black/rosewood Foundation I got from a local TBer here a few months back. Sweet bass. I also still have my two '92 red Foundations (4 and 5er respectively and both with SFs) that I have pretty much just given up on trading/selling. Seems every time a trade or possible sale seems to be in the works it all just fizzles out. And its not the basses, they are sweet.... oh well....

Im also working a deal for 2 other Foundations in a parts lot. One is a fretless black/rosewood S. That one is such a keeper. The other is an early 90s white one. That works too. ^_^

Foundations are very nice basses. The first one I got was my 92 red 4 string. I just had to get an old Peavey to get back in the groove after being out of it for a good decade. And that was what I stumbled across and my BF got it for as a present xmas of 07. It and my other Foundys have been great basses.

And nick, Id be a bit annoyed if I had a luthier that didn't treat my axe with some respect. I hope he didnt ding it up or anything.
  15. ajish4

ajish4 Supporting Member

Just landed my FIRST Foundation! What a story this one has...GOOD & BAD....

THE GOOD: FUNNY STORY....strange how fate works...

We were out running around all day helping out a family friend with some things she needed to attend to.

I was going to stop and get some picks in at the Guitar Center but after all the running, I asked the Mrs. to drop me off home so I could get a few things done at home while she could continue her running with her friend and go grab lunch locally.

I asked my wife to stop at the ONLY music store we have in town....I HATE the place. They almost NEVER have ANYTHING worth buying. I can't even get a decent set of bass strings in the place. From the looks of the place, I could never understand how they didn't go out of business. I consider myself LUCKY if I can find a decent strap in the store. I HOPED at least they would have some FENDER Heavy & MED picks.

My wife calls me from the store and said the store is UP FOR SALE, and everything is 40% off. She said they don't have many basses in the place, but they do have an old beat up Peavey, would it happen to be the one I've been looking for????

FIRSTLY, I was in SHOCK that she even asked me if I wanted another bass, Second...the the worst guitar store in the world might actually have SOMETHING I might want. She tells me "It says PEAVEY FOUNDATION on the headstock. It's white, pretty beat up, chips, rust, sticker glue.....but it has a CLEARANCE STICKER on it. No case, $150.00". I said offer the guy $100.00 for it...she brought it home WITH THE PICKS for a total of $120.00.

Well, my wife arrived home with my treasure! The neck has a HUGE curve in it, I was HOPING I could adjust it out. I don't even know if the electronics work yet. The guy told my wife it just came in as a trade.

I'm STILL shaking my head in disbelief. :hyper:

THE BAD

I took out my trusty truss rod tool, removed the TRC, put it on and as I JUST STARTED to turn it....CRACK! the fingerboard separated from the neck! The nut appeared to have never even been turned, there wasn't even a thread visible from the top of the nut....A clean break up to the 2nd fret.

I'm going to try to reset it, but IF IT FAILS, anyone out there have a spare Foundation 4 neck?

It appears to be a early 90's from the look of it....I'll take some pictures of it today and get them posted. It is / was white fadded to cream with a Rosewood neck.
  16. NickInMesa

NickInMesa

Hey Ajish, sorry to hear that. I think there may be some necks available for you. Apparently the wood was too dry and probably never adjusted.
  17. Krügmeister

Krügmeister

I TOTALLY love my CAR w/maple neck!

[​IMG]
  18. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

Another bass I should have held on to :oops:
  19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Nice foliage, too.
  20. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Im a total n00b when it comes to trying to repair stuff like that but I would think since its a clean break its fixable? That sucks your Foundy had a meltdown like that. It was probably in so much shock that it was in some knowledgeable hands it just lost it. LOL j/k
  21. JohNLA

JohNLA

I picked up a 90's foundation 5, back in August from a guy on Craigslist for a $100:smug: The seller said it was priced low because of all the dings in the bodies gloss black finish.
    The action was really high and when I started to adjusting the bridge is when I noticed the neck was curved.:scowl:That was the first time I have adjusted a truss rod and after several attempts I got it straight:hyper:
    It was not my first bass but it was my first bass in 10 years. I just ordered a jazz bass and I was thinking of selling it but decided to give it some a fresh airbrushing instead. Wish it was an earlier version but I am still very happy with it.