1981 G&L 2000, decent price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

What would a decent price be for one in good condition. Not really a bass I'm hot for, but it is the year my son was born and thought it would make a nice gift. Mahogany body, maple neck.

2. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

With the Mahogany body, probably around $1,000-$1,300. There isn't as much demand for G&L as there is Fender or Music Man, from what I've seen over the years. Early G&L is about as good as it gets though, imo.

3. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    Endorsing : Elixir Strings, Digitech , Eden Amplification
    Between 800 to 1500 . 1500 for a Mint early 80's L2000, that is one of the best basses ever made !

4. Thumper

Thx guys, will have a look in person.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$800-$1,500 is mighty optimistic if you're selling. I just sold an '82 L-1000. Mahogany body. Had it in the TB classifieds for a while. Couldn't get any interest at $675 shipped. An '81 L-1000 just sold in the TB classifieds recently for $650 shipped.

You can find a very nice '81 for around $700 if you look around and are patient.

7. Thumper

I was planning to offer $650. Anything I should look for, either pluses or minuses?

8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

This is a good time to buy one, given the crap economy these days. With the mahogany body ones, the tobacco burst examples usually fetch more than the natural finished ones (which look plain brown).

There were mahogany ones with opaque finishes also, but they don't command the same value. Other than that, originality is king, like with all vintage guitars.

Edit:
    Original knobs count, too. Replacing then is all but impossible, and costly.

If you have to have an '81 model, look for the slothead pickup pole pieces. Virtually all 81's had them.

I'd look for a straight neck, good frets, and a functioning truss rod. If it has the OHSC, add a few points.

Understandably, the old L-2000's always go for significantly more then the same-year L-1000's. And there aren't as many '81 L-2000's available as there are L-1000's.

Current value? Dunno, don't see many come up for sale. Have seen them in the past go for as much as $1400 for a nice one, as low as $650 for a beater. If I saw a nice '81 hog L-2000 priced at $850 today...I'd have to buy it. But that's just me. Good luck.