1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1981 Vantage Matsumoku VP795B Set neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Just picked up this 1981 Vantage set neck and I'm really impressed with the way it sounds and plays.
    Made in Japan by Matsumoku. I believe it to be Solid Japanese Ash with hard maple center block.

For comparison it sits beside my 1981 VS600B which the catalog says is Mahogany with maple center and walnut stripes.
    Both have DiMarzio pickups from what I'm led to believe. Brass nut and bridge.
    Both are very undervalued instruments in my opinion. And both keepers (especially the VP795B which also seems to have upgraded tuners compared to its little brother).
    What is odd is why there are two sets of precision style pickups. That must have been the style at the time (short-lived style I imagine).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. millsbass5

millsbass5

I don't really know why the two P pup never really caught on. Back in the early 80's,I once had a U.S. Fender Bullet Bass that I modded with 2 DiMarzio P-Bass pups with the bridge pup reversed. Awesome,awesome tone.
  3. oddeotek

oddeotek

I had one of the Vantage single pickup models back in the 70s. I remember it having great tone and the workmanship was awesome for an inexpensive bass. I did a video for HBO back then that shows me playing it.

Tacoma "On Your Way" - YouTube

That brought back some memories! Good luck with those gems. I can"t remember why I sold mine but I went through LOTS of basses then... Oh, who am I kidding, I still do!
  4. Hurley

Hurley

Beautiful basses! I'm jealous... I have a VS600B identical to the one in the pic. I was *thinking* of putting it up on CL to help with some bills, but I fell in love with it again as soon as it was in my hands. I completely understand when someone calls these keepers. Enjoy! :D
  5. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

My '79 VP710. It's been my backup for about 25 years.

[​IMG]
  6. mazareth

mazareth

Beautiful basses. Reminds me that I've been neglecting my CSB-450...