1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1983 Squier JV Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hardtwister, Jan 1, 2013.

1. hardtwister

hardtwister

Here is a recent purchase of mine. A 1983 Squier JV serial Jazz Bass. Black w/white pickguard and rosewood fretboard. Feels good.. Found it on CL for 300.00. Currently strung w/flatwounds. Any thoughts on the pickups? Japanese or American? Haven't got to plug it in yet..
  2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    My Squier P-Bass was identical to the American '57 reissue, reverse gears, raised pole pieces and all. The pickups and hardware were American, according to what I read and comparing them to photos of American parts. You found a great bass!
  3. AlastairWatts

AlastairWatts

And super cheap too... They seem to sell for heaps on eBay
  4. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

As far as I know, the only model of the Fender JV series with american PUs was the Stratocaster (even the bridge was made in US).
    All other guitars and basses are completely made in Japan, including the PUs.
    They copied every detail in looks - even staggered pole pieces and so on.

I had a 52 JV Telecaster and a 62 JV Stratocaster (with the US PUs), both were great guitars.

I once played a JV Precision Bass, it was a real good one.

300 $ for a JV Jazz Bass is a very good deal for a fine bass.

Greetz
  5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

Congrats. Got Pics?
  6. hardtwister

hardtwister

A couple pics..

Attached Files:

7. hardtwister

hardtwister

pencil date on neck reads 5-23 '83

Attached Files:

8. hardtwister

hardtwister

I had a 77 Jazz with the large block inlays. This JV bass is lighter and feels more balanced. The 77 had a nice growl to it, though I used to keep roundwounds on it, this JV Squier came with flats and I have to admit, it is hard to put down.. Can't wait to hear it plugged in!
  9. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Sweet! The Jazz Basses have really nice necks and you have to love the slab board.
  10. Down_Low

Down_Low

Sell for, are are listed for heaps? Don't think I've ever seen one sell at some of the asking prices on ebay.
  11. hardtwister

hardtwister

Check out Ebay item #110989621990. A no reserve auction that ended on 12/30/12 for a white Squier JV Jazz Bass located in Stuttgart, Germany. There were 32 bids placed and that JV Squier sold for 1199.99 Euros (1502.96 US Dollars)
  12. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Nice bass, but to my opinion to expensive.

Squier JVs are already in that "vintage" hype - because about 30 years old.

The JV basses are very nice - but have not the quality of the stratocasters and telecasters of the same series.

I think, about 800 Euros are ok for that bass.

Greetz
  13. AlastairWatts

AlastairWatts

I think I agree... Most of the older basses I have are Grecos (and one very handsome 60s Harmony) which are in no way comparable price wise to JV instruments or MIA Fenders of similar ages; most of them I got under $500AU. $300 for a JV is a great price and it'd be worth every penny! I'm sure all of us would agree you tend to get what you pay for (as in, if I could buy a Fodera AJ Presentation it'd be worth it) but, IMO, there's heaps of excellent instruments findable for much less than traditional market prices would suggest you need to pay for a good instrument OR for good instruments themselves. Didn't Geddy Lee find some beautiful old J in a pawnshop for $150? Mmm... :)
  14. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I think you could realistically get 6-$700 for it.
  15. hardtwister

hardtwister

I enjoy the old Japan made instruments for the same reason. They are well made and can still be found for good prices! I listened to people argue about JV guitars long before I ever owned one and was always intrigued by how passionate folks got about it. Is it just "hype"? I don't know about that.. Seems like we're all looking for that thing you can't quite put put a name on. Old Grecos, Tokais, Fernandes, Squiers and the like are better and more fun than *most Fenders in my humble opinion, and that's coming from a Fender man. They built so well that it forced positive change at Fender and started the whole "reissue" craze. JV guitars are just a part of the story. Market has final say with regard to value. Would love to say always buy low and sell high but sometimes that doesn't work out. At the end of the day I'm a player more than a business man and just want that axe that feels like an extension of me. Tone & feel quest. I have an easier time holding onto the ones that aren't as valuable, like if it's worth a lot I have to sell it because I know there are dollars sitting there. If it's not worth so much there's no benefit to selling?? I battle that part a bit. The revolving door makes life interesting but lets a bit of cold air in now and then. I really like this bass but keeping it would be harder than quitting the nail biting. Ha! I have never allowed myself to keep the really nice ones but this bass just feels great! I don't care where she was made or what number or name is on her.. Take me now Lord
  16. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

keep it dude. You got a killer deal, its a good story and if you like it then play the thing. Trust me if your not in need of the cash then just keep the bass, having a few hundred extra bucks in your bank account isnt that exciting.
  17. hardtwister

hardtwister

Maybe thats what they should go for. Some say there were more JV P's than J's. Learning a lot from www.21frets.com My bass is an export JV. Some say are more desirable and known of in Europe & Canada. I don't think this bass would have been available in the US.
  18. hardtwister

hardtwister

Thanks man. It's wierd. Like I have to give myself permission or something. The wife is on board! What else should a guy need to know??
  19. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

...the rarest Squier JVs are those with a big Fender Decal on the headstock.
    No joke: the first guitars and basses of those series were only built for the japanese market, they had Fender-Decals, but were exactly the same products as the later Squiers.
    A few months later a lot of JV Fenders appeared in the US and Europe - so Fender switched to the Squier decal to poptect their american made Fender's sales.

Greetz
  20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I disagree. The JV's and SQ's are great basses and are gretting harder to find. The price is not too crazy and that makes them a steal for some.
    As they get more rare I see the prices going up. IMO the only way to get the same quality of bass today is to pay well over a grand ($1000 dollar US) I bought my last SQ this summer on CL for $140.00 (US dollars) :D

I feel the MIJ Squiers are as good if not better than MIA Fenders of that period, even some before and beyond it.
    I own 3 SQ's and they are my go to basses. I hope to add a JV if I could find one at a price like the OP got his for I would pay that hands down.
    I sold off both my 70's Fender basses for the SQ's and it was a great move since I got all three dirt cheap.