1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1983 Washburn Force 8 a good bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Just saw this on CL, this looks like a really nice bass- just a little out of my price range this time of year. I may have a friend interested in this but thought I'd ask the pros here a few questions on his behalf as he's a little computer-challenged. lol

Looks really nice with the original DiMarzio reverse pickups and binding on it. Also seems to be in great condition too.

Question: Is $470 a good price for this (in this condition) and if anyone has one, how does it play compared to lets say a MIM P-bass? Worth the price?
    Thanks for any info..

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/4234756006.html
  2. RawOrange

RawOrange Supporting Member

I've had two of those- very cool basses. $470 is too much though. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for one in great shape.

Tone wise, they are similar to a P bass, but the reverse configuration does make it a little different. Mine were pretty bright and punchy.

One thing to be aware of is the fact that the body is a slab, and it is quite thick. Combined with sharp binding, it might not be the most comfortable bass ever depending on your playing style.

I would still take one of those over a MIM precision any day, if only for the cool factor alone, not to mention that they are well made and sound great. That is my personal opinion though, some would definitely say different.

Good luck, and let us know if you get it!
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Thanks for the info...you're right I just looked at classified posts here on TB and saw some for around $350, so that seems to be the average used price for one. My friend may have to see if the seller can lower his price a bit. How does it play in comparison to a MIM P-bass as they cost similarly?
  4. RawOrange

I edited my previous post to include that information. But to expand, they are completely different animals. The only answer is to try both and see which one you like better.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

I'd say that's way too much. I love the looks of those though, and I've always kinda wanted one. They usually go for dirt cheap on here.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-washburn-force-8-a-983779/

That one went for $325, but it had a Badass bridge which would make it worth more. Looks like the one in your pic has a different bridge.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

RawOrange, you're the man! I will relay this info to my buddy. The body thickness and lack of contouring may be somewhat of a concern as it may not be suited for his body build now that you mention it. We'll have to see. Thx again.
  7. RawOrange

That one was mine at one time. I bought it for $180. It had a Badass II bridge, Grover tuners, and a V shaped neck. Very cool bass.
  8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member Supporting Member

Very nice basses, very well made at the Matsumoko factory, Japan. You have gotten some pretty accurate info from everyone answering you and I agree, it is overpriced as far as the market goes and I would reluctantly pass at that price.

The reality to me is that even though it should indeed sell in the $300-350 range at the max...it will be as good or better as most any $450 bass made today. Gotta love that thick binding.

I always find that era of Washburn to be very mid-rangy (which I like btw). but nothing that cannot be dealt with by heavier strings and/or EQ if that is not to your exact taste.
  9. leegreenman

leegreenman

Carol Kaye used to play one of these. I'd rock one if the price was right. I agree with the consensus here though, 470 is too high.
  10. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

The Washburn is a beautiful instrument, but $470 could probably get you a Mark Hoppus. There could be some poor soul selling their American Standard P or J on your local craigs, never know. You have to consider too that the Washburn would cost a lot of money to manufacture in today's times, but that's still at least a hundred $$ overpriced.
  11. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I have worked on a Washburn Strat from the same era. This bass appears to have the same unique neck joint. On the outside it kinda looks like a normal neck, but hidden under the pickguard is a tongue that extends well into the body. The bolt plate attaches to the extention and two screws are well beyond the last fret. This allows the body cut-away to be really deep. These guitars have amazing acces to the last few frets.