1984-87 Squier MIJ Jazz Bass Pickguard Replacement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockfreak611, Feb 6, 2014.

1. rockfreak611

rockfreak611

Hey guys, first post here after a long time lurking! Just pulled the trigger on my first bass - a circa 1984-1987 MIJ Squier Jazz Bass (E Series) :hyper:. Here's the ebay listing for reference: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Japa...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557. I'm stoked for the bass, but certainly not for the bright red pickguard on it. I've done a lot of searching around in the forums but haven't found a clear answer: Would there be any issues with replacing the current guard on it with a regular Fender guard (or otherwise)? I'd really like to put a reasonably priced tort guard on it. I've been looking at this Fender one that has the same 11-hole styling: http://www.amazon.com/Fender-099-20...391673730&sr=1-6&keywords=jazz bass pickguard. Any thoughts on if it will fit, or if it looks good (the picture quality is iffy)? If not, do you guys have any recommendations as to what would definitely work? Thanks in advance!
  2. Davo-London

Davo-London

I can't tell from your link which bass you have bought. None of them fit your description.

Davo
  3. rockfreak611

rockfreak611

Scroll down the page a bit to see the item listing. For some reason ebay lists a bunch of "related items" at the top of the page. Sorry for the confusion.
  4. Davo-London

Davo-London

Ok, got it.

There's been quite a few posts about fitting MIJ scratchplates - use the search facility. If you make a template and send the template to the supplier - they can check if their Jazz plates match or not.

Cheers
    Davo
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockfreak611

rockfreak611

Like I said, I've searched through a TON of threads already and haven't been able to find a clear answer, especially not for Jazz basses (lots of MIJ P bass threads on this, which apparently they work fine, but apparently the MIJ Jazz basses are a whole different story). Was just asking for some help based on the links I provided and if anyone had any experience dealing with this before. Not trying to spend a lot of money on the pickguard, hence why I'm asking if anyone has experience/knowledge about compatibility with factory-made Fender guards instead of needing to have one custom made, which would be costly and time consuming. Thanks for the tip though!
  7. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Many, many years ago I picked up an E series Squier Jazz bass. It had a rough life and I used the body as my first ever refin project. The neck was awesome and I moved it on to many different Fender bodies and had no problems with fit or dimensions. That said, I do not know for a fact if the body and pickguard were the same as an actual Fender, but based on the neck I would assume they are. Me personally, I would feel 99% confident that a Fender Jazz pickguard should be a direct replacement for your MIJ Squier.