1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1985 Guild Pilot Passive Dimarzios

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chetmz, Nov 29, 2012.

1. chetmz

chetmz

I have an old Guild Pilot that has sat in the closet for a number of years. I pulled it out had a set-up done and am liking it as an occasional change from my '61 P.
    It is a 1985 (or so) with PASSIVE Dimarzio's. I checked with none other than the Guild expert Hans Moust who verified that although rare, some Pilots were sold with these pick-ups versus the far more popular EMG's.

Anyone have any experience with these and know if they are equivalent to any of the new DiMarzio's?

For those that are curious, the light body(poplar if I am not mistaken) passive pick-ups and the reverse position of the P pick-up vs Fender give it a very even tone. Also, the J produces no hum and actually balances quite well. Nice quartersawn neck too.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

I bet that sounds awesome.

3. chetmz

chetmz

Bolophnic- I am not sure it would fit with the music you play...it is a pretty 'reserved' sound but yes it is warm and clear and in its own way, awesome.