1985 Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Well, I've had this bass a while but have been busy with other things so I finally am getting around to cleaning the pots, input jack and everything functions fine.

Great playing & sounding bass thru my USA David Eden 'the metro' 2x12 combo (but I am a newbie to bass).

Anyhow, I do NOT have an original case so I called around to some dealers (some of which sold these Foundations new) and was surprised when I heard some of the comments.

"You probably don't want to spend much for a case on a $200 bass".

"Do people still want these, the new import Peavey basses are nicer overall".

OOOKKAAYYY.....you know I have collected old USA tube gear for the last 25+ years and have bought and sold many nice older Fender guitars....not many Peaveys I admit.

But dang, I thought many of the USA Peavey Foundations were highly regarded and some Peavey basses were considered to be "high end" so to speak.

"$200".....I don't think I would ever take $200 for this bass...I don't even know if I would entertain $300 to be honest.

Years back, bass players told me these were up there with USA Fender basses, no?
  2. Bongolation

Bongolation

$100-$200 in most markets, including mine. $200 is really about tops.

Great value qua bass, but market is market. :meh:
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

There are many who have a snobbish attitude against Peavey.
    The facts are that the 80's era Peavey USA made instruments are very good quality. But they often sell for fairly low prices.
    I have an 80's MIA Foundation and have handled several others and they are excellent.
  4. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Even though these don't have a great resale value,they can stand head to head with much higher priced bass's!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

They also tend to have various trussrod grief usually due to improper servicing, which kills market value even on ones that are perfectly fine.

There are lots of nice instruments with zilch resale value. Peavey is just one example of many. The reason people make such a fuss over them here is simply because they're US made.
  7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I am just guessing but I am thinking the overall hardware on the USA Foundations (such as mine) are high quality, no?

What is this trussrod grief you speak of?:eek:

I understand the low resale value with many nice guitars in general but I never see any USA Peavey 6 strings for less than $250.....even in pawn shops ALL of the USA Peaveys sell quickly in my area for the $250 to $300 range.

The Peaveys that are dirt cheap are the import Strat copies commonly seen for $30 to 40
  8. troutbum22

troutbum22

I too have a US made Foundation that I really like. Strung with Chromes for the last two years. I bought mine for $225 with the matching hard case. It is only 2nd to my Fender P.
  9. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

People who don't know what they're doing in the first place trying to set relief without the special Peavey wrench or an intelligent substitute, losing the cover, stripping the nut and/or threads, bottoming out the adjustment, etc., etc. Pick any combination. It tends to snowball. :rolleyes:
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

I can't believe this is an actual selling price for Foundations.
  12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

You bet, but only on the 80's models, and the earlier the better.

Later on, Peavey downgraded the bridge, tuners, string tree.

And of course the cool cast metal "P" knobs were already long gone.
  13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Seems high or low?

The local pawns are flooded with mainly Squires and some Ibanez basses...very few Peavey basses of any kind.
  14. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

15. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Isn't there a pickup mod for these Foundation, changing the wiring scheme maybe?
  16. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

I understand how you could see it this way but I completely disagree. I think most of the changes were made to reduce weight or fix problems. The tuners lost the bolt on ferules but several ounces in the process. They also gained straight string posts that prevent the strings from sliding up and reducing break angle over the nut(an inherent problem of the earlier tuners). The string retainer bar includes the A-string to help keep the string seated in the nut, another improvement over the earlier hardware. I would conceed that the older bridge is nicer, but it is also significantly heavier, and after the negative response about the weight of 80's peaveys, I think it was a smart move. My 87 foundation weighed about 11 lbs. My 91 with superferrites sounds just as good and weighs less than 8.
  17. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Well, I should add the lightweight USA Peaveys always sell the quickest but some will weigh upwards of 13 to 14 lbs!.

I have several friends that manage pawn shops in the KC area, we talked about this some.

I think Peaveys were always huge in the Midwest...Lynyrd Skynyrd & gobs of country acts used a Peavey backline along with other bands but the "T series" guitars are probably sentimental to older guys like myself (I'm 54).

Remember folks, back in the 70's many folks wanted HEAVY guitars and some still do LOL!

My 1985 Foundation weighs almost exactly 9 1/2 lbs fwiw....I thought this one was one of the lighter ones I've picked up thru the years, which is part of the reason I bought it (along with being black).
  18. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

Where are you located ? I have a couple extra Contour cases.
  19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Not true. Regardless of origin, the Fury and Foundation are well built, great sounding and playing basses. And at current prices, perhaps the best values on the used market. But when you get into the late 80's through the 1990's, Peavey was making some of the highest quality, most innovative basses on the planet. The Dyna and Axcellerator models were more advanced than anything the major manufacturers were producing at the time. The Midi/Cyber basses were FAR more advanced than any bass guitar you could buy at the time. And in order to own a bass nicer than a G-bass, Sarzo, TL-5, TL-6, or a B-Quad, you'd have to enter the boutique market, and pay a LOT more.
  20. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I think the hardware changes were made for the obvious reasons, just to cut costs.

The stock tuners on the early Foundations (also on the T-20, and 1st gen Fury) are as smooth and precise as anything out there, and I'm pretty sure I've been through all the various bass tuners, past and present. Interestingly, no one seems to know who the manufacturer was, and I've never seen them on any other bass. Ever.

Some Foundations came equipped with the Grover Titan style tuners. Very nice machines, but not better, and I doubt lighter. But the Titans are worlds better than what the 90's Foundations and later Fury's are wearing, at least the ones I've come across.

I'm with you on tapered tuner posts, on any bass not just Foundations. I never liked them, think they're a gimmick.

But...the issue with the break angle on the A string is "user error", just like it is on every other bass with yapered posts. The extended string tree makes life easier for players who don't put enough wraps around the post. Peavey was no doubt happy to make that little change, as the original cool cast triangular tree cost more to make.

Does your 11 pound Foundation have an (northern) ash body? If you have a poplar Foundation that actually weighs 11 pounds, I'd say you found a freak. The dozen early poplar ones I've owned (still have 5 or 6), have not weighed over 9 1/2 pounds. Most in the 9 pound area, the lightest is exactly 8 1/2 pounds. My shipping scale is very accurate.

That said, I'd not be surprised if the later hardware is slightly lighter then the original stuff, it's not as robust. But I don't think saving weight was the objective.
  21. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

The grover style tuners were actually peavey labeled Schaller s-4s. I'm pretty sure the flat cloverleaves were also Schaller made, and I agree that they are great tuners. However, I have tried putting them on lighter bodied 90's Foundation and they are significantly heavier. They added an undue amount of neck-dive. While I hear many people complain that the newer hardware is lower quality, I have heard of few if any failures. On the other hand, I have given 2 different tbers replacement early tuners due to failures(propably user error, overtightening the tensioner). Perhaps the newer hardware was less expensive, but I disagree that it was cheap.