1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1989 MIJ Tuner bushing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Meyatch, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Meyatch

Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 1989 Made in Japan fretless jazz bass. Some previous owner cut the nut slot really really low, I tried to get the nut out, and it was super glued in, and I couldn't replace the nut myself.

It sat apart for months and in that time one of the tuning bushings fell out. I just got it fixed, and now I need that tuner bushing.

I'm kind of hoping I can find it, but if I can't, does anyone know what size it is, and where I can buy one? Its a good bit smaller than any of the ones I have around here.

thanks
    -mitch

2. Meyatch

Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    bump. Starting to think I'm not going to find it laying around. still looking for this information.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Buying just the bushing? Good luck with that! You're gonna wind up buying a machine to get a bushing.

5. Meyatch

Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Does anyone know what tuner I could buy that would come with the right size bushing?

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Measure the diameter of the post and order based on that.

7. EclecticLady

EclecticLady Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2014
    SF Bay
    Guitar parts resource has them in packs of four

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_ferrules.htm

Just measure the diameter of the tuner holes on your headstock - I can't recall precisely what size they were, but I know the E-series MIJs used the larger posts.

8. Meyatch

Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    those are string ferrules, for string through body bridges.

9. EclecticLady

EclecticLady Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2014
    SF Bay
  10. Meyatch

Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    thanks, I'll have to measure it when I get home.

11. Meyatch

Meyatch

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I just got around to measuring this, and I'm coming up with 15/32" inner diameter, and 9/16" outer diameter, which doesn't seem to match anything I'm finding.

Any help would be appreciated.

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I have some bushings in the parts drawer at home. I know they usually don't fit right with Fender headstocks, but you can easily fill the gap with aluiminum tape (there's a recent thread in this forum about that).
    I'll measure some for you and if I find one that is close, you can have it for the price of postage!