1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1997? Deluxe Jazz made in USA or Mexico How Tell?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

This is purported to be 1997 Deluxe Jazz. It's got American serial number (N7 plus 6 digits) but there is something scraped off the headstock where it would say Made in Mexico.
    Is there anyway to verify this is American version and serial number hasn't been altered?

Many thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zachbass02

zachbass02

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Harkte Amps
    It's Mexican. MIA would have truss rod adjustment at the body, string through body and no skunk stripe on the neck.

3. garp

garp

Pickups also appear to be the Suhr-designed single-poles from around ‘97 on the MIM Deluxe Active Jazzes. If I’m not mistaken, an MIA of this vintage would likely still have the OEM dual-pole pickups.

4. MIMike

MIMike

I had a MIA delux active 5 and it had the single pole piece pickups in it, but those didn't last too long before they went back to the traditional design. I believe you are correct though zachbass02, the MIAs were string throughs and the MIMs were not.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

I always love when a bass is purported

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It's possible the neck is from a 97 as the tuners are period correct; so are the pickups. The body and bridge are NOT. In 97 the American Deluxe had a downsized body with string through ferrules and a bridge with "semi-threaded" saddles. Here's what they look like: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-4799.htm

8. fabubass

fabubass

That is a '97 Active Deluxe MIM. I have the exact bass, same color, 2 tone brown sunburst. The American, as stated, would have the downsized body, this one is full size.

9. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

definitely Mexican. the US deluxs active basses had a 22 fret neck among the features mentioned by others

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Would the finish on this have a veneered top & back too? Perhaps a bit too perfect matching?

There was a discussion in another thread about how MIM's had this feature.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

The tuners are NOT correct for a 97 deluxe.

There is nothing right about this bass. Looks to be a parts bass. Beware.

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Here's my 1997 that I sold last year. The pick guard and bridge were not original, but everything else was at it came from the factory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. BassmanI

BassmanI

For a Mexican bass, yes the tuners are correct. They're the same "Schaller Licensed" tuning machines used on all of Fender's lower priced offerings. G&L and MusicMan also uses them.