1998 mim squier pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kbraker510, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kbraker510

kbraker510

i have an opportunity to buy one of these at a real good price. what is the lowdown on them?are they worth getting and modding? are they solid wood or lamintated bodies? and it has strat syle knobs were they standard? sorry for all the questions.

thanks kevin
  2. Eilif

Eilif

The MIM Squire's that I am familiar with are pre '96, and say "Fender" in large script and "squire series" in small letters. What's the serial number on your bass, and what does the headstock say?

The ones I'm familiar with have solid Bodies , probably poplar, Strat style knobs are standard. They are pretty much the same as the MIM Fender Standard basses of a few years later when they removed the "Squire series" emblem.
  3. kbraker510

kbraker510

headstock says squier and the serial number says its from 1998
  4. bass7858

bass7858

About a year ago i visited the local GC trying out some different amp heads. Was on lunch break so i had not brought one of my fenders. Got the amp i wanted to try and "reached" for a fender. I usually play Jazz basses but had lately been considering picking up another P. So when my eyes fell on a decent looking white one i plucked it out of the rack, plugged up.:bassist:
    i was checking out the amps sounds when i really began noticing how nice the bass itself was contributing to the sound. It played really nice. The 2 knobs were smootly responsive, tone knob had good variation, and it was REAL fun to play. Sitting there pondering that it occured to me the neck although appeared to be full length it felt somewhat slimmer, more jazzish....but not quite that thin.
    So then i decided i better check the head stock. Guess what? Fender Squire, Made in Indonesia!! Holy Crap!!:eek: I hope no one that counts is watchin!!!
    I then decided to hell with it...its fun to play, sounds great, who cares...i'm way passed status.
    So i checked the price. $249.95 w/case! Dunno what kind of case (prolly a bag) I almost choked.
    You can sure get ALOT of axe for a few bucks nowadays if u dont mind where its made. I'm gonna find one of those i like the color of and lift up on it! (take it home)
    After that i'm definitely a proponent of if u like it play it. your the one that matters most:D And any fender squier would be worth owning! IMHO
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eilif

Eilif

Does it have any series name? What is the actual serial #, or at least the first 5 charachters. I don't mean to be a pain about this, it's just that afaik, there weren't any squier p-basses made in '98. Of course, I could be wrong, if I am, my initial post comments are probably valid.
  7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

I'd say anything is worth getting at a "real good price" ;)

what's the price tag on it, if you don't mind my asking? might help us in deciding if it's worth getting
  8. Anonymous Guy

Anonymous Guy

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326800505

Was it that one?
  9. TC2112

TC2112

From TDPRI.Com

The black label was used by Fender Mexico for a limited time only between 1993 and 1998. It can be found exclusively on the rather short lived mexican “Traditional” and “Squier” series for the Telecaster, Stratocaster and Precision Bass. Usually, Squier is to Fender what Epiphone is to Gibson. In this very case, the use of the name “Squier” had nothing to do with the actual Squier brand, as the series was named “Squier Series”, but it was by all means a Fender series, not a Squier series. The keyword is “series”, not “Squier”. The regular mexican “Standard” series was available too at the time, but it already featured the same silver-ish logo that is still used for it today. However, between 1993 and 1998, both labels (the black AND the silver-ish one) were used for mexican made Fender guitars, but for (slightly) different guitars.

The guitars with the black label consisted mostly of overstock american made Fender necks and bodies. The parts were shipped to Mexico for assembly with mexican made pickups and far eastern hardware and electronics. The overall quality of these guitars turned out to be below the Squiers made in Japan and Korea, whose production came to an end around the time the mexican made guitars with the black label surfaced, yet above Squiers made in China and Indonesia, whose production had not yet begun at the time. The guitars ended up on the american and european market for just about as much as a guitar from the regular “Standard” series would cost at the time.

Some (not all!) of the guitars were sold for a few bucks less as they came with 1-ply pickguards and hardware of slightly lesser quality. Those guitars (and those only!) had an additional smaller “Squier Series” label on front of the headstock, right were the artist models have the artist’s signature. Though some owners probably sanded off their “Squier Series” label, it is not true that all guitars with a black label had a “Squier Series” label in the first place. Most guitars with the black label featured tuners and bridges of decent quality as well as 3-ply pickguards. These guitars did not have the additional “Squier Series” label and were called the “Traditional Series”, which was stated nowhere on the headstock but the guitars were listed, advertised and sold as such.

The “Traditional Series” can be considered the slightly better but the “Squier Series” sure is the more obscure. At the end of the day, there really is not that much difference between the two. The most significant difference can be found on the Telecaster. The Telecaster from the “Traditional Series” had the traditional through-body stringing, while the Telecasters from the “Squier Series” were Top Loaders with different bridges, saddles and no string holes in the back.

The guitars from that very “Squier Series” are official and genuine Fender guitars like any mexican made Fender guitar regardless, and if you have a mexican made Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster or Precision Bass with a black label and a serial number beginning with MN3, MN4, MN5, MN6, MN7 or MN8, you have a genuine Fender guitar – with or without a small “Squier Series” label. [/tdpri]

so here is the question - does it say Fender in large solid black script and then "Squier series" out at the end of the headstock? if so, then the above info applies.
    I have a black label Fender Jazz MIM 95 and it plays like a champ. I would grab it if it's under 250.00
  10. LCW

LCW

I had a squier series p bass cost me 80$ and was covered in rust. I ended up selling it for like 100$ i think. It was a good bass tho
  11. kbraker510

kbraker510

the guitar serial # starts with mn810xxxx. it has a 3 ply pickguard. the logo is squier by fender. with squier being larger in gold with by fender in smaller script underneath. not know the policy on pricing, it would be the same as getting an new sx of similiar type
  12. kbraker510

kbraker510

p.s. i got pics if that would help
  13. Simo98

Simo98

Hmm, i wasn't aware that they made squiers in mexico that late, by then they were coming out of korea and Indonesia mostly.

if its cheap its probably a good buy, have you tried chucking it into a fender SN decoder online?

also, email fender with the serial number and some photos, they have been quite helpful for me in the past.
  14. TC2112

TC2112

yeah - Id love to see pics of it. I wasn't aware of MIM squiers that late either.
  15. kbraker510

kbraker510

picture time

Attached Files:

16. kbraker510

kbraker510

more
    pix

Attached Files:

17. bass7858

bass7858

Yes, it was "that one"
  18. Eilif

Eilif

Sorry to doubt you man.

I -and most others here I gather- Have never seen a MIM Squier that late year, but it's clear from the headstock that you do indeed have 1998 MIM Squier. It's a Squier, and not a Black Label Fender "squire series" unfortunately, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it's probably as good, or nearly as good as the MIM Standard Fender precisions of the same year.

By 1998, "Squier" was pretty firmly an oversea's brand, so I wonder what the reason was for producing what appears to be a very small number of Mexican Squier's in that year? Perhaps it was a short run to fill in for a gap in production of overseas instruments or some similiar situation.

Oh yeah. If it's the same price as an SX BUY IT IMMIDIATELY!
  19. kbraker510

kbraker510

it is gonna here by late next week...................... im stoked
  20. stephenq

stephenq