1999 Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reckoner19, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Reckoner19

Reckoner19

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have come upon a bit of a dilemma that I could use some input on.

I've been in the market for a 2008+ Fender American Standard Precision bass, and am close to pulling the trigger on one.. HOWEVER, I was just offered a 1999 Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass in mint condition (teal/rosewood) with OHSC for the price of a newish MIM. I'm familiar with the recent American Deluxe Jazz instruments but don't know much about the late 90s models. I'm more of a P bass guy, but I've always wanted a Jazz (and I love the look of the Deluxe)..

Is it better to go with a 2008-2012 American Standard or spend significantly less for a 1999 American Deluxe?

Thanks for the input.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I hated the logo from those years, other than that it could very well be a killer or a dud, can you play it first? If it plays great and you like it, keep the cash. If you find a newer one you enjoy more just sell the '99, it isn't going to get much cheaper from the sounds of it but a new bass will depreciate immediately upon purchase. As much as you put "only played bass for 10 minutes in the ad" it still equals a used bass.
  3. Reckoner19

Reckoner19

Good point. I haven't played the bass yet. I'm not looking to buy a new bass either way, the USA P bass would be used as well. The price difference is $250.

I feel like the the 2008+ P is the better instrument overall (especially for me), but the 1999 is the better deal. :confused:
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

The US Deluxe will likely be of stellar build. I agree with the above. You should buy it for the time being because if it's as cheap as you mention, you can probably make a few dollars selling it should you find something you prefer in the future.

You should also open yourself up to all years of US Standards, not just '08+. That they're significantly better than previous years in some way is an overstatement, IMO/E.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Reckoner19

Reckoner19

I guess I'm most worried about getting the bass, enjoying it for a short while, and then GAS-ing for a P again and being unable to unload this one.
  7. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Don't know why it would be hard to unload, especially if you got a good deal. That said, you cant go wrong with a USA P-Bass. I don't care for the downsized, modern body style of the US Deluxe Jazz personally, but they are very fine instruments. Either way, you win!
  8. Reckoner19

Reckoner19

The only reason I thought it might be hard to unload is because I don't see many threads/FS threads about the '99 era American Deluxe Jazz. I've been trying to do some research on them but haven't come up with much.

Appreciate all the responses so far!
  9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I was getting ready to jump on an older US Deluxe myself recently, but somebody beat me to it.
    I'm really GASing for one of the more recent ones, with the full-sized body, blocked and bound neck and active/passive switch.
    The earlier version was nice, too, though.
  10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Might not be much help, but my '02 Am Dlx P is simply my most used bass, out of a fine stable that includes a Ric Cheyenne and Sting Ray. That teal color is also awesome. Mine's Candy Tangerine. That said, a newer P bass is also a great score.
  11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I sold my black '97 that was in near mint condition for $800 in 2010. That's roughly what a used US STD P goes for.