1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

19th century Tyrolean 5/8 bass "kit"

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses & Bows' started by David Morris, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

For sale are the remnants of what once was a pretty little Tyrolean bass probably built in the second half of the 19th century. I purchased the bass sight unseen by long-distance. The bass was listed on Craigslist and was just what I was looking for - at the time. Since I was about 1400 miles from the seller, I had him take it to a luthier local to him for inspection. On the advice of the luthier, who thought that with a little work it would be a good investment, I bought the bass for $3200. The luthier was going to do some work and send it to me. Two years and 4 months later this is the result. The luthier finally decided it needed more work than it was worth and threw in the towel on the project. So, I sadly offer the disassembled and somewhat butchered components as follows. I have no idea why the luthier chopped off the fingerboard, nor what happened to the tailpiece. I suspect they were cannibalized for the ebony.

I have detailed photos of all the pieces. PM me for details. I have no idea if these are worth anything to anyone, but will sell the entire "kit" for $400, or best offer. If interested in any piece or pieces, PM me.

Photos before butchery:

[​IMG][​IMG]

What's left:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Additional photos:

New Bass Bar
    Scroll & hatpegs
    Pegbox
    Upper ribs
    C bout
    Neck
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Length of back and width of the bouts, please?

Is anything missing other than the bridge, tailpiece, end pin and the part of the fingerboard no one wants us to play on anyway?
  3. David Morris

Back = 39 1/2"
    upper bout = 18 1/4"
    C bout = 12 5/8"
    lower bout = 23 3/8"

I believe the mensure was 39"

There is no sound post, and I don't see any evidence of a neck block. Blockless wonder?
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It looks like it was originally blockless, but the neck heel looks like it's been modified.

It's a bit small but I'll think it over. I'm a sucker for a sad-luck story. Does that 39" back length reflect the missing button? What's the rib depth?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Morris

Well, this story is as sad-luck as they come. :crying: For me, anyway.
  7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I like to think that guys who specialize in DBs are good people but this story proves me wrong.

I'm very sorry, Dave.
  8. David Morris

No, 39" without the button. Rib depth is 7 1/4" tapering to 6" at the neck joint.
  9. David Morris

Thanks, Jake. Good people make mistakes and bad decisions sometimes, so this story doesn't necessarily prove you wrong.
  10. fmoore200

fmoore200

Yeah, that luthier seems very douche baggy (at least from the story as it was told). :mad:

Sorry that you had to go through this bro. :beer:
  11. David Morris

The "kit" is SOLD. I underestimated how much interest there would be in this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.