1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

1RU bass heads

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nojj, Jun 24, 2013.

1. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Checked out a couple of dated threads here about this subject, wrote down some suggestions, and was hoping there's some updated info.

Looking for a one space bass head (w rack tabs)
    or if failing that, a 1space power amp if it has an integrated XO.

Planning on mounting it in the extra rack space on my SWR 4004, so it should be relatively short.
    I usually have a fan at the back of the SWR, as it tends to be a bit hot on the cooling fins.

2. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  3. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Pretty impressive.....
    BTW, congrats on surviving the Big C. My bass hat's off to you.

I wonder if it would be easier to get one when I'm overseas as opposed to trying to find one here in the states.

Does it need a little extra room to breath?

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Disclosures:
    Dropping Acid Pedal Etching
    The GK MB series should do the trick

5. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Thanks, JonnyA
    (If you have the same name as me, I bet it gets misspelled a lot....)

That one's been on my list of stuff to look at.
    Do they have a kit or something to attach rack ears?

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I have a MarkBass F1 that is a one space rack mount. They are discontinued, but they pop up in the classifieds every now and then. My favorite of all the 5 lb, 500 watt micro heads.

7. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    what was that high-end bassman pre-amp replica in 1U? i remember it being silver with a few black knobs. what was that it was like a "AB1" or something like that

8. Take a look at the size specs on that one. VERY deep.

A used F1/F500 with rack ears would be a nice, evenly voiced unit. Not sure if the GK's have rack ears available, but the MB500 or 800 would also be great if you want a bit more aggressive tone with more baked in voicing.

9. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Yeah, the MB500/800/Fusion have rack-kits. Don't know about the MB200 though...

10. That would be PERFECT then. Nice and small, powerful, good EQ, lightweight, still in production, decent service and support.

11. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    You have to buy the rack-kits separately though. They didn't come with my MB500 a couple of years ago...

12. If price is not a factor (it always is for me!), how about the Demeter VTPB or HBP with the built-in class D power amp? Given that the Demeter tone is your "cup of tea" of course.

13. Makes sense, since very few end up racking a micro head. Nice to have the option.

14. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    These are hot if you can by the bread to buy them...

15. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Salinas, CA
    +1 I have a GK MB800 and love it. It's 1 RU with the mounting ears, loud and light. I don't rack mine personally, I keep it in the pocket of my gig bag as my go-to backup currently.

16. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Thanks, Guys.
    Currently I'm running an assortment of stuff, including a BBE biamp pre and power amp combination.
    As long as the amp will fit in the 4004.... (Especially if it's light):hyper:

Seem to get the best sound (for me) w/ 2 cabs, and 2 separate bass heads, each controlled by a send from a single Line6 POD XT live. (one modeled, one DI)

Price is a factor (Unless I have one helluva good year)
    Planning on getting one single RU head soon, with an option in the not-so-distant future to rack 2 of 'em together in a separate case, and eventually get a set of neos.
    My back will thank me.

17. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2005
  18. If haven't made a decision I just saw this last week and it looks interesting.
    Overton Featherweight 500:

http://www.overtonamps.com/index.ph...ategory_id=54&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

500W @ 4Ω - Class D
    Single rackspace design
    Studio quality compressor w/ threshold & ratio
    Overtōn signature sculpt control
    5 band eq. - 3 midrange bands are semi-parametric
    Pre/post eq. balanced direct output w/ level & lift
    Series effects loop
    Headphone out, tuner out and aux. inputs
    Speak-on - 1/4” combo jack main outs
    Footswitchable mute and sculpt bypass

Item Dimensions - 1.75"x17"x9" Weight - 4.2lbs
    Boxed Dimensions - 22"x12"x5" Weight - 6.2lbs