1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1Spot + tip Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MilkyMcMilkMilk, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I use a 1 spot with the 8 connectors for daisy chaining my pedals, which are all negative tip power.

I've bought a rat that has weird plug in (3mm I believe) and positive tip powering.

My 1 spot came with the weird plug in converter.

I've seen polarity shifting converters.
    If i shift the polarity on the rat (rat is near the middle of the board) will the rest of the pedals
    then be getting positive thru the daisy chain?
    Or will the conversion only effect the pedal it's hooked to?

Or do I need to convert it to posiitve for the rat and add another converter on the next pedal to get it back to negative?

As soon as I get the pedal i'll be using 9v batteries but don't want to do it long as it's costly
    since I never remember to pull the input cable.
    Thanks
  2. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Wow received this pedal today. So Awesome! Exact distortion sound I have had in my head forever. A lot of great pedals I've tried. Iron Pig was cool and versatile but not quite right. Rat tail was great but not quite what I wanted. The elements was versatile and cool but not quite right.
    I do lose a little low end but on my jazz I can change from series to parallel and it is like a pbass and adds some of the low back in. Its phenomenal. Only drawback is its huge. But I can deal with that.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

You can't daisy chain with different polarity, you'll fry something. Either run a separate power adapter or use a power supply with isolated outputs.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, it can work. That's why they provide an adapter plug. However in some cases there will be noise or hum, which is usually fixed by using isolated outlets.
  5. FretNoMore

Sounds iffy to me, could you not short out the power supply due to grounding through common signal ground?
  6. mcnach

mcnach

Hmm, that's what I thought too.
    The adaptor cable is all good for one pedal, but if you daisy again it, are you not shorting it...?
    I had this with an old DOD pedal but I made sure I used a supply with isolated outputs... So I did not risk it
  7. rogerb

rogerb

Well, I don't think the adapter actually swaps the current flowing on the wires somehow, it just changes one particular plug pin and sleeve 9v connection, or 'tap'. You're not changing the daisy chain cable, + remains + and - remains - for the next connector in the chain, the same as it was before.

Still, I'd check with volt meter, hahaha.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Remember that the pedals are connected via patch cords no matter how you power them--so if mixing power polarity was going to short anything, it would do so even with isolated supplies. And as Roger says, the ground inside the power daisy chain is not changed in any way.
  9. FretNoMore

I have to think about this, but it just doesn't feel right.
  10. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

It's cool, I'll end up just getting a specific 9v wall wart for this pedal.
    I was just hoping to save a few bucks.
    9v positive tip costs $25, 2 converters would have only been $6 or so.
  11. Crater

Crater

Don't confuse positive TIP as being the same as positive GROUND. They are not. The RAT is a negative ground pedal, as are 90+% of modern pedals. Most likely there will be no problem using the 1 spot daisy chain with other pedals, provided they are all negative ground.

The barrel-type DC jacks that are found on modern pedals are almost always solid plastic and insulated from the pedal's case. You cannot assume that because the barrel is positive that it's also connected to the pedal's ground.

Just try it and see if it works before buying a separate power supply.
  12. FretNoMore

OK, this is probably where I'm wrong (or right :)), depending on whether the signal ground and pedal ground are the same and what's connected to the enclosure.

Hopefully testing whether it works or not by connecting the two pedals won't fry something though ...