1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1st Amp Head and Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by potaetoson, Dec 26, 2013.

1. potaetoson

potaetoson

im new here....and since i just bought a new amp/cab i figured i'd post here first.

I've been playing bass (off and on) for about 15 years. played in a few bands as a kid and we sucked. in my early 20s played with some guys for about 5 years. very seasoned guitarists and a good drummer.

played cover tunes and some originals too. i probably have 20 gigs under my belt over the years.

bought an ampeg BA-115 for that band and MIM J bass....still work and sound great.

i was recently approached about joining a cover band with some buddies and they have very very good gear (guitars, amps, pedals, etc).... so i decided to step my game a bit.

went with an ampeg PF-500 and a PF-210HE speakers.

im pretty stoked about the purchase and am considering a new bass in the near future too. probably stick with fender, MIA this time J or maybe P bass.

also picked up a Boss TU-3 Pedal Tuner too.

time to get on it and knock this rust off and start learning 100+ cover tunes.

anyone use the PF500 head or PF210HE Cab? reviews? Feedback?

Thanks
  2. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Hey. Congratulations and welcome back to the gigging world. There are quite a few threads on this forum about the portaflex heads and cabs. You can literally find dozens of topics just by using the search feature. Lots of opinions out there in them from both sides of the aisle. I use the pf350 with a 115HE cab and I love it. Mostly small room stuff for me though. I pretty much run it clean but would like to add a sansamp BDDI for some greater versatility.
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

I bought a PF-500 when they first came out, and I love it. So far, no smoke, or flames have come out of it.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I would put forward the thought that a single 2x10 is not all that much cabinet. A pair are really versatile and is what I use. I don't consider a 2x10 suitable for a gig. it can come close but I prefer to be more cautious.
  5. kpc

kpc

I use it all the time (pf500 & pf210). It depends on the gig and if you are putting it thru the sound system. I've never had a problem with either. I also bought mine when they first came out. It's a killer set up! Enjoy!!
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I agree with B=Paul, and would never use only a 210 against guitars and drums. You'll be pushing that little cab hard to keep up. A pair of them is equal to more than the sum, in volume. Great little amp, btw, and welcome back.
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+2. OP: see B=Paul's post.
  8. potaetoson

potaetoson

I figured as much. i plan on adding another 210 or 115 in the near future. After this purchase, just cant afford it right now and really want to get a new bass.

I have some time, we are shooting for middle of May to start gigging.

thanks for the feedback fellas.
  9. superfly8564

superfly8564

My first stage rig was a Peavey Mark IV with a 2X15 Scorpion Cab. When my band would practice on my parents' basement, I could (and would) literally shake the basement windows open with that thing. Oh, the days when I played (bum bum bum bum bum bum) with my pick while sporting my Iron Maiden concert shirt and mullet. lol