1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1st Broken String - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jb27, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jb27

jb27

I broke my 1st string tonight while tuning. It's my E string (Helicore Pizz). It came unraveled in the peg box.

My question is: would it be OK to leave the string off until I can get a new one shipped (probably wouldn't arrive until middle of next week)? I wasn't sure if the tension from a string is required to keep things in check (neck), or not.

I have a spare E string (golden slap) but I really don't want to go through the process of putting it on for a few days if it is not necessary.

Thanks!
  2. jb27

jb27

I ended up just putting my extra string on it last night to be safe. But for future reference, I'd still be interested in a response if anyone knows.

Thanks
  3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    The tension from the other strings is sufficient. The only danger to removing all of the strings is that the soundpost might fall but the tension from two or three strings is more than enough.
  4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

If the E string is off the bass for a longer time (than a few hours) it might take one or two weeks after you put on the replacement string until the bass sounds like before. The top needs to adapt to the new forces for a while.
    Otherwise the only real danger is the soundpost if you take down all strings at once (like if you want to change the bridge or tailpiece) like Greg said.
  5. jb27

jb27

Thanks. Good to know.