1st Build P-Frank TalkBays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderPeg, Feb 11, 2014.

1. FenderPeg

FenderPeg Supporting Member

This heres my 1st Build with all parts bought here and 'mystery body' on the Bay for $30, total sitting at $450 that includes a nice black leather 4.5 padded Levi which was a must due to the weight (thanks Vic!). I am pleased with how it came together & I really like the look that she has become, especially the last 2 days!
    After remeasuring and installing a Gotoh 201 to correct bridge position (previous whoever butchered this thing) it really feels and sounds nice. I still need to work on adjusting the action HIGHER now (after shimming the neck with the sandpaper trick, was too high) gives me something to do tomorrow and happy that I am not stuck too high, too low is a good thing! Was about to dump this body aspect of the project but said what the hell, drilled new holes for bridge (perfect practice body) lowered saddles as far as they would go and was just too high (reason for shimming).
    Love the internet for the know how and tips like measuring the bridge position, really easy. I measured 17" from the 12th fret and marked where the G saddle will sit (where the string 1st begins to vibrate). I think many get confused that this is the measurement where the screw hole goes. It is important to extend saddles 80% out to leave room to set intonation, although some say extend fully because you will never ever need to be closer than the 34" to the nut. I guess i liked having room to work with in case I messed up! Anyway, after marking the saddle distance I set a straight edge along each side of the neck to mark the path of the neck to help me easily center the bridge. Then lay the saddle where it belongs from previous mark and measure distance from both front edges to any fret so it is level, hold firm and mark holes. Wha-lah, perfectly centered and placed 5 hole bridge. Had a blast doing it to :bassist:

I added the Warmoth neck w/6150's found here that came with brass nut, changed the lolipop Hipshots and replaced with HB3 clover golds, big improvement even though I like the look of the Lolli's, they were just a little worn compared to the hb3's, plus the gold is looking killer. Fun times boring out the neck holes for the 11/16 newbies too!
    The body is solid 1 piece mohog, weighed 5.6 lbs bare, has neck pocket damage/poor routing job on the sides, looked like someone tried to use a chisel and failed. It didn't effect the bottom, maybe I will add some work to it down the road but for now its not bothering me, adds character to the frankenbass that has no Fender parts other that a temp neck plate and tone pot
    The Warmoth was perfect for balancing it out too. I have not put it on a acurate scale yet but I am guessing around 9/10 lbs. Not a problem, I'm a big guy haha

Today with the help of ol Vic, Deep Tracks and his misc parts supply on hand, we installed the CTS 250k solid shaft pot with a orange drop. Seemed like a good start along with adding the Duncan 1/4 lber. Cant wait to hear it through the rig at next band practice!

Anyway, thanks to Whitey and A Step for some of the parts and to any of you listening & interested in builds. I am loving my new hobby and I am sure you sellers out there like hearing that! Now I think its on to building a Tele as the auction I got this P body for $30 on the bay came with a bare bones pine Tele body. Can you say G.A.S. ??? :help:

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

cool...let's see the tele body too!!
  3. FenderPeg

4. FenderPeg

5. FenderPeg

I will ad that this body still needs a protective coat but I really like the dull 100 grit sanding look. Any ideas on how to keep this look while giving it a coat to protect the wood?
  6. FenderPeg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392180359.041099.jpg

Tele body. Says Texas Customs but its in ink pen so not sure how authentic that is. Routing looks good, just needs some know how
  7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

That turned out well glad the hardware went to use, why the chrome string tree? Not that it looks bad I just remember I sent you a gold one.
  8. FenderPeg

Thank you, I will probably put it on so it matches, but I like the design of the chrome one with the guides/slots to keep strings in line. How do the flat ones hold up? Ever have any pop out and have to tuck back under?
  9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Nice work. Fun building stuff, isn't it?

By the way... I would gladly take those lollipops off your hands if you don't want them!
  10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Oh gotcha, no I have never had that issue with a flat one at all, the string tension and angle keeps it in place fine. Fender still uses that design 60+ years later even on basses that have departed from the traditional route, I am positive a string tree without channels will be totally fine.

Keep me in check on parts you need for you're next build, I always have more parts then listed, by far.
  11. FenderPeg

Sorry, Lolipops traded for the Levi.. Thank you and yes, Tons of fun! I am totally hooked and looking forward to building this Tele. Build this P in a cpl weeks but plan on taking time with the guitar.

I will mos deff look you up if I need anything Step. thanks again, I will probably throw on that tree tomorrow, I really didn't know much about them, still learning the bass world tid bits after only meddling in playing guitar on and off for 25 yrs. I forgot to mention that we installed the pots and those sweet knobs dont fit! Only put on pic for show haha, no biggie I probly trade, find the correct or upgrade electronics down the road.. Maybe even find some that go to 11