1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

1st Time Bass Owner.... TODAY!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by 4StringerAtLast, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 4StringerAtLast

4StringerAtLast

Hey folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself.

You can call me Sal. (4StringerAtLast :bassist:
    I'm 29 years old from the Dallas area. Check out my profile if ya like, just don't take it too seriously :p

======

Yes, TODAY is my first day as a bass guitar owner!

:eek:

I just went and picked up my Schecter Guitar Research Stiletto Extreme-4 Bass @ GC along with a
    Peavey MAX 112 II 1X12 200W Bass Combo Amp

I have been playing the elec. guitar for about 15 years and I have a D.O.D. Death Metal Distortion pedal (for guitar) that (against the GC salesman's advice) I am using for the bass... I think it's ok, right?

I am moderately knowledgeable about the flashy axes but really just beginning my life as a bass player!

So excited.

:hyper:

Thanks everyone.

-Sal
  2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Congrats!
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Welcome. Get how to tune it, hold it and get sound from it first. Bass guitar for dummies is a good book for that.
    Scale patterns next. The patterns in Dummies are good and I use them all the time. I know of no instrument that does not have us run our scales right at first. Why? Gets our fingers knowing where the good notes are.

Coming over from 6 string rhythm guitar a Big WOW for me was --- find the C note on the 3rd string. Where is the F note, and the G note? Makes those ole I-IV-V chord progressions a piece of cake.

I'm sure you are already playing from Fake chord sheet music. Fake chord moves over to the bass very well. Root note of the chord on the first beat, pounding out roots to the beat and hitting the chord changes dead on is a good start. Need something more, add the 5. Still need more insert an 8. R-5-8-5 is kinda generic to everything except a diminished chord, and how many of those do you run up on? The R-3-5-3 is another generic bass line for major chords, as is R-b3-5-b3 for minor chords. Ed Friedland's book on walking bass lines will give you the rest of that story.

Where is the 5? From your C it'll be up a string and over two frets.
    Where is the 8? The 8 will be up two strings over the 5.
    R-5-8-5 is a nice easy pattern - have fun. The following may come in handy.

Major Scale Box.
    Code:
    G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string

Second WOW. The 5 of a note can also be found down a string, same fret. Now is that easy or what.

[​IMG]

I think you will like the bottom end.
  4. RickK53

RickK53

Welcome to the low end. You're gonna love it down here (bass in general, and TalkBass in particular). I just signed up today, but TalkBass has been my go-to place for gear reviews.

MalcolmAmos - all good advice. Since 4StringerAtLast has been playing guitar for 15 years, about the best thing I can offer is: standard tuning is an octave lower than the 4 low strings on a guitar. You probably know your way around the fretboard - the notes are just physically farther apart than you may be used to.

Above all, ENJOY!