1x10 + 1x12 = outdoor gig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brock29609, Apr 9, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

Playing my first outdoor gig in a few days. Need some gear reassurance.

I rehearse with and a Shuttle 6.2 (600W) + Epifani UL110 & UL 112. It's plenty loud enough indoors and I can easily overpower a drummer.

I have an outside dig coming up. Should I have any concerns about moving enough air with this rig? The drummer won't have any more assistance than a kick drum mic, so as long as I can keep up with him I should be fine.

I have other (bulkier, heavier) cab options, but would prefer not exercise them if I don't have to.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    *shrug* for me that wouldnt even be a practice rig. For others its over kill.

It really depends on how loud the drummer is, and how loud you want to be out in the crowd.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't even attempt to play a gig outside with that little equipment.
  4. eloann

eloann Supporting Member

I'd say let the sound guy do his thing and use your cabs as monitors.
    Joe Louvar likes this.
  5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Doesnt look like they are going to get a lot of PA support.
  6. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Yes, this. If there's no sound system, though, you might need a 4X10, if it's a rock gig.
  7. brock29609

More info...
    No sound guy. We're volunteering at an elementary school's fund raising festival. We're the only act that's not one person with an acoustic guitar. We're playing Rolling Stones songs for 40 minutes.

I could use a different head that runs at 2 ohms and bring an extra 12, but I'd be dipping into older/heavier gear and the stage isn't close to a road. It's in a field.

Kinda wish I didn't just sell my Bag End 15.
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Very often when you sell stuff you'll end up needing it shortly thereafter!! :)
  9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

first off, I would not stress about it too much. You want to sound as good as possible of course, but you have what you have, so just deal with it and I'm guessing it will sound just fine. If you have the extra 1x12, you might strongly consider using it, despite the "large/heavy" issue (hint: get a fat wheeled cart). You may have to push your rig a bit harder than usual for an indoor gig, but 600w into 2x12's should be just fine unless your band is Metallica or Kiss. :)

You will have a very different acoustic response between any closed room and an open field (I assume with no backdrop), so you will need to adjust your expectations. So, if you expect to have the kids pants flapping 50 yards away from the stage, that's probably not going to happen. Will you be audible - of course.

To those suggesting that your rig is puny and will never handle this type of outdoor gig, I would reply that I have been using 300w into 1 or 2 12's, outdoors, with perfectly good results for many years. Of course I don't need to play at ear splittingly loud volumes either. But can I be heard, and can my volume meet the expectations of the gig ... absolutely.

enjoy!
  10. StayLow

StayLow

"I would reply that I have been using 300w into 1 or 2 12's, outdoors, with perfectly good results for many years. Of course I don't need to play at ear splittingly loud volumes either. But can I be heard, and can my volume meet the expectations of the gig ... absolutely."

Me too. Same rig too, I believe. Boogie Walkabout/Scout.

Seems to me that if the PA can handle kick drum it can also handle a bit of bass if need be.
  11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

+1

yep, my rig is either a WA 12 combo, or more recently the WA into a Berg CN212. I used to use the WA 12 + Scout 12 and that worked fine too. The WA+CN212 can get amazingly loud if needed.
  12. brock29609

I dusted off an old rear-ported Avatar 112 from my basement and tried it with my UL112. The combo sounded fantastic, so I'll go with two 12s.

I have some spring-loaded side handles. Mounting them on the Avatar should make it feel even lighter than its 41 lbs. The Kappa speaker in that thing is punchy and barky, which compliments the slightly scooped UL112.
  13. DogBone

DogBone

You'll be fine.

Turn down the lows, bump up the mids as necessary and have a great time. Sounds fun!
    Joe Louvar likes this.
  14. brock29609

Well, I had my outdoor gig. I ended up buying a Schroeder 15PL (w/ no horn, 29 lbs) and put it under my Epifani UL-112. I'm glad I went with the bigger drives. I punched right through all 6 pieces of the band. A huge tone success.
  15. iualum

iualum

Here's your answer. No one at this fund raiser wants to leave deaf. It isn't a R&R concert. People will be having conversations with one another while you play & will want to hear & be understood. You'll be plenty loud. Actually, you'll probably be too loud.
    Joe Louvar, Ukiah Bass and sstillwell like this.
  16. sstillwell

sstillwell

^This. There is such a thing as "too much rig for the gig" (heresy, I know...)
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Supporting Member

If you are there with a bunch of parents and teachers, and everyone else is playing acoustics, likely you will be hearing more "can you guys turn down a little" than anything else.
  18. iualum

iualum

Or maybe, "can you guys turn down a lot."
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

That's why baby Jesus invented the volume knob. Small rig folks at TB seem to forget that he did that.
    Steveaux likes this.
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Don't worry, the 110/112 cabs will be fine. You don't need to be louder than the drummer - if you want a good overall band mix without PA support - don't burry the drums.

FYI: If a PA is really large enough to reinforce drums its also large enough to reinforce bass too.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    sstillwell likes this.