1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

1X12 for Mini Rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RED J, Dec 5, 2012.

1. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Hey All,

Looking for suggestions for a 4 ohm 1X12 to use with my GK MB-200, for a portable but adequate rig. I don't have to fight with a half stack or crazy loud drummer. I lean toward a vintage tone, fat but with good definition. Any thoughts ? Thanks

2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

not many 4 ohm 12s out there. I was recommended the Faital 12PR300 (US Speakers has it) for a project, and based on a little WinISD modeling it looks very nice. And yes, it comes in a 4 ohm version, a bit pricey at US$180, though. Assuming you'd go DIY..........

3. DonaldR

DonaldR

I think Hartke 112 HyDrive is the only one. In fact switchable from 4 to 8 ohms. So one (switched to 4 ohms) for small gigs and a second (both switched to 8 ohms) for bigger ones.

4. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Top of the heap, would be an AudioKinesis Thuderchild.

Loudest, might possibly be the Schroeder 15+L, which is not a 12, but a 15, but VERY small.

I think they make a 12+L that would probably be similar.

If you really don't NEED to be THAT loud, then msot any 8 ohm 12 would suffice, including Gk's NEO II.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I have an Eden 4 ohm 1x12 that I use with a Hartke HA2500 for low to moderate volume situations.

I think the model is EX112 or something like that. It does fine as long as I don't crank the volume and really boost the lows. I also use it as an extension cab with my Roland CB100 combo (which does better with a 4ohm ext cab) and it excels at that role too.

The cab is lightweight, inexpensive and decent sounding. Seems to be well made, but it only get's light use from me. It only has a 1/4 input though, so keep that in mind.

7. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

+1 on the AudioKinesis Thunderchild. I don't think any 30 lb. box can perform better.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

An 8 ohm 1x12 would be just about as loud as a 4 ohm will. The difference shouldn't be much at all. But, since we're all putting our favorites out, I like the Aguilar DB112 alot, and it sounds like you've described. They make one without a tweeter as well, but I think they're all 8 ohm boxes.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.