1x15 vs.4x10vs.2x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hotrodmick, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Hotrodmick

Hotrodmick

I know this has been beaten to death BUT,

I have a old BA115 Ampeg and need to step it up to more power. I'm looking at the PF500 and wondered what cab to get. We are all old classic rockers and play a lot of outdoor gigs. Some festivals have back lines but some do not. Our drummer is loud and the lead guitarist can't hear anymore( remember , we are old rockers).

So 1X15 2X10 or 4X10 remember we're a classic rock cover band..

Thanks
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The only thing the size of the driver tells you is the size, and therefore the beaming frequency.

There are 10's that go low, and 15's that go high. So unless you have specific models in mind, only anecdotal descriptions can be given of the cab formats you listed.
    McFarlin likes this.
  3. Hotrodmick

Hotrodmick

Sorry , the Portaflex series. I know guitar amps but not too much about bass amps. Just an old guy. Our bass player quit and I was his back-up when he wasn't there, so now I'm there and need to step it up.
  4. Major Softie

Major Softie

Where's the 212?
  5. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    As far as the PF series goes, I would look at a pair fo the PF-115LF's. Stack them vertically.
  6. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Classic Rock ? I would go with a 215, or , two, 115 cabs.
  7. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    There are also small cabs that sound big, and big ones that don't.
    Also keep in mind that you want to choose a cabinet based how it sounds and performs in your opinion. Listen to as many as you can without regard for configuration or manufacturer, as ultimately those don't matter.
  8. DogBone

DogBone

If you want to stick with the PF series, I'd get two 115 cabinets, use one for smaller gigs, and stack both when you wanted full volume.

Just me, but I'm not a big fan of mixing a 115 and a 210 cabs because it can do funny things with the sound (hot spots and dead spots in the room for example) although it does work for some folks and who am I to argue if it works for them.

I'm also not a fan of 410 cabs in general because even though they're loud for their size, they're heavy and wide and just tend to be all around back breakers.

I'd rather tote two 115s, have that second 115 close to my ears.

Of course, YMMV, IMO, etc. :)

Also be aware there are two different Portaflex 115 cabinets, one has the removable top to mount and flip your amp (PF-115HE), the other is a traditional 115 cab that doesn't open up (PF-115LF).

If you want your rig to be a true fliptop, the choice is obvious, but there are folks who say the 115LF sounds better.

I don't have experience with either, depends on how you want to use your head or which one your ears prefer.

If you're not set on the PF series, or even Ampeg in general although Ampeg makes a perfect candidate, I'd look at a couple of 12" cabs for the same reasons as the 15" cabs, they would have most of the volume and all the tone and be a bit easier on your back, generally speaking.

Good luck.
  9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

Right now my favorite cabs are built buy a couple of "small" shops run out of garages and such. You will never find them new in a music store, and they are not widely known about.

They work for me.

There will be others that find their tone in other equipment. It comes down to what you want to hear, and that will be different for each player.
  10. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

I have found that within the same brand name, and model line, and cabinet size, a 115 is louder than a 210. Maybe not as punchy, but louder. 410s, which are bulkier and heavier, generally are louder still. If you are going to sometimes be playing outside without PA support, I think you need a minimum of two 115s or a 410. Personally I would do the two 115s. More flexibility and less load on your back per trip on load in and out.
  11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I alternate between GKRBH 4x10 (210x2) and a Neo115+210. The 4x10's definitely cut through a dense mix better, but can almost be too mid-rangey depending on the room. I tend to favor the 2x10+115 for most live situations. I feel like that setup has more reach in larger, but narrower rooms. I like using the 4x10's for wider rooms/outdoors if that makes sense. Ymmv.
  12. klokker

klokker

I play in a classic rock band, often without PA support. A 2x12 is more than enough and I could probably go with just a good 1X15.

2X15 is just too big and bulky for me and totally unnecessary. Same with a 4X10. Nothing wrong with it, if you like it that's fine, but it's way overkill IMO. Probably a 2X10 would do fine as well, and like I said a good 1X15 would work for classic rock. I have a 250 watt Fender Bassman 1x15 and it could cover anything I've done just fine although I'd be pushing it a bit......so what? If your super loud at the bar or any other gig I've done at least, you won't be asked back anyway.

My 2X12 is way more than enough for any situation we've played, easy to pack and load. Really, way more than enough, including outdoors. With a 500 watt amp, no problem.
  13. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

I just picked up a Hartke AK410. It's not that heavy, easy to move around and sounds great playing classic rock.
  14. bobalu

bobalu

+1 to the Hartke AK410. It's pretty light (for a 410 cab) and has fit perfectly in every situation I've played in - Classic Rock, blues and country. Very well built cabinet too.
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

This is true. It's not opinion, it's scientific fact that cannot be refuted. 410 cabinets were put on earth by an infernal power for the sole purpose of making bass players hurt.
  16. Hotrodmick

Hotrodmick

Thanks all, a lot to think about. I've been lugging equipment for a long time. The older I get the heavier stuff becomes , so weight is a factor. I hate playing at the music store but need to try a few different makes. I normally go to the mom &pop shops and try to avoid GC but might need to try different cabs.

I picked the Ampeg because our bass player had one and I have my BA115. The price on the PF500 wasn't too bad. I'm open but want a nice amp. This will be more then likely my only gigging bass amp.

I've been on YouTube reviews and am going this weekend to see what's out there.

Again thanks
  17. Hotrodmick

Hotrodmick

Went and looked at the Ampeg PF500 with 1x15, wasn't going home with me. Still looking, thanks for the help, I think 1x15 instead of the 10's to start with. Now , combo vs. stack or a combo with another cab. Still shopping. :D
  18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Which 15 did you play? There are two different models of PF 115.
  19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Just get two of anything (2 X 10, 1 X 12, 1 X 15) and stack 'em. A combo with single driver and matching ext. cab will work just as well. Don't dwell on driver size.

Riis
  20. Zoa

Zoa

Get a head and a cab, not a combo. Combos usually feature design compromises. If you're still thinking Ampeg I'd go with the PF800 not the 500, but it ain't my money.
    DocGeorge likes this.