1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2,000 dead mice dropped over Guam

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. Gazman

Gazman

Amazon drone delivery gets weirder and weirder.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

That military industrial complex is just so quirky! What wacky exploit will they come up with next?! :rolleyes: :rollno: :scowl:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Though the OPs article is recent, I recall reading about this years ago, I think in TBOT.

7. hover

hover Banned

As do I.

Note to self: do not visit Guam.

8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I like the part about each rodent is strung up to a tiny parachute.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Yeppers, and...

WWII bomber found on moon

Baby born wearing ancient Egyptian necklace

Chernobyl chicken reaches 6 feet

...Will wonders never cease??

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Completely by accident, I recently stumbled across the Wikipedia article on Guam, and the problem with the snake was mentioned. Several species of birds have been virtually eliminated on the island.

Creative solution. I'd be interested to know the results.

11. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Brown tree snakes were accidentally introduced into Guam shortly after WWII - with virtually zero predators, they are singlehandedly responsible for extinction or near-extinction of Guam's bird populations. Pretty evil pest.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Civilization is safe once again!

13. MatticusMania

Why are they snakes evil? They were brought to Guam. They didnt go there seeking out Guam's bird population. They didnt ask to be brought to an island where they'd have no predators. Theyre just following their instincts in an effort to survive. Nature takes its course.

14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

This isn't "nature taking it's course". This is us accidentally introducing a venomous predator into a place where "nature" never intended to be. And now, the problem has reached the point where we have to try something as goofy-sounding as parachuting dead poison mice into the trees to fix our screw-up. I hope it works, actually; every Guamanian I ever met, or friends who were stationed there, have complained about what a dangerous menace those snakes are.

15. MatticusMania

I dont disagree that nature never intended them to be there, but once they were introduced the snakes are only behaving according to their nature. "Nature taking its course" if you will. You cant claim that theyre evil because they do what they would have done otherwise. Theyre just being snakes. Its man who is responsible.

Im not saying the snakes arent a dangerous menace. Even here in your post you acknowledge the real culprit of the issue - Us. Man brought the snake there. The snakes are nto evil, that was my point.

16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

No, of course the snakes aren't evil; I would hope that anyone over the age of 5, with more than 3 0r 4 brain cells to rub together, would know that. And yes, of course, they're just doing what poisonous snakes do; Nature just didn't intend for them to do it on Guam.

To me, "nature takes it's course" implies something like, say, a temporary decline in the population of what ever preys on the snake (keeping their population in check), caused by something natural, resulting in a temporary spike in the snake population. That would be natural, and it happens all the time. That's not the case in Guam, though. That's all I meant.

Should we have been more careful? Of course; but I imagine that in WWII, thay had (to them) much more pressing concerns than a little brown snake hitching a ride in a cargo net full of supplies.

17. Richland123

Richland123

18. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

ha, actually this isn't even big news here, and not the first time they did this. I do remember 10-20 years ago I wouldn't see a single bird for months and now that has changed, so something is working :)

19. spade2you

spade2you

None of this would happen if they stopped the war on drugs.

20. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Dude...You live in or on Guam? And gig there!? Didn't even know that was possible!

21. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

no video, no flying mice.