1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2/3 fingers "stick"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by KingDavid, Feb 25, 2014.

1. KingDavid

KingDavid

I don't know of this is a problem, but I noticed that when I play, my 2nd and 3rd fingers "stick" together on the fretboard, whether my 2nd or 3rd finger frets. Is there a fix to this, and is it a bad thing? I don't have a teacher, and I can only look to you guys for help... :/

2. geddeeee

geddeeee

Don't worry about it. If it doesn't impact on your playing, you're OK. All the talk about technique on these forums is '********' if you ask me.....
    If your tone is clear, you're in the groove and have no aches and pains (apart from sore fingertips), you have excellent technique!!!!
    Enjoy yourself.....

3. KingDavid

KingDavid

Ok, thank you. I feel very comfortable playing like that, but I was just wondering if that was an "incorrect" way of playing..

4. geddeeee

geddeeee

According to some people there is a 'correct' way to play. I find most of these players boring to say the least. All technique and no soul!!! Ha ha...
    I've been playing for 35 years and I'm self taught. My technique wouldn't match the so called perfect or right way technique. I have great timing and a good ear. To me that is way more important than 'good' or 'correct' technique.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

If it's something that you see hindering your playing at all, I'd suggest trying to fix it. You can do some chromatic runs/scales to get your fingers independent. Do you ever use your pinky finger?

I know that if I taped my fingers together I'd have a hard time playing. Your call.

7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

The greatest critics of the Elks...

I don't know about you, but I rarely see anyone around here toot the technique horn, so eh.

The question of whether it's a problem is a scholarly one until it does become a problem in actual playing. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, like. Does it cause you any concerns? Depending on how long you've been playing this most likely sorts itself out as your hands become more accustomed to the fingerboard.

If you do want to get it under control, simple finger exercises incorporating one finger per fret may do wonders - start in the middle of the board, around the 7th fret or higher if you can't stretch the fingers enough (and below that, I'd go 124 anyway but ymmv). For a really huge collection of exercises, see Bass Fitness by Josquin des Pres.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo

The 3rd finger is anatomically strange, it is linked with its neighbors which makes it difficult to move independently.

I personally combine my 3rd finger with my 4th, so my fingerings go 1-2-4 and when I press down with 4, I am also pressing down with 3 just behind it.

If paring the 2nd and 3rd is more comfortable for you, then go for it! :)

9. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    you're fine, but it's probably a good idea to practice stretching those fingers apart. a marginally related story that might provide a useful metaphor:

a good friend of mine started playing bass at the same time as i did, and insisted that it was easier to fret all notes using only his index finger. he could do an amazing amount of playing with just the one finger. i finally convinced him to try using more fingers, and while it temporarily slowed him down, it helped him to improve drastically.

10. vin*tone

vin*tone

The world of upright bass awaits you!

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

i think it limits you a lot if you are going to play more demending music but if you stay in pop, rock genre I think it will be just fine.

I wouldn't try to play some jaco note-for-note without 4 fingers.

12. KingDavid

KingDavid

I use my 2nd and 3rd fingers, especially my pinky (more 2nd than 3rd), and them "sticking" doesn't affecting my playing whatsoever. I just noticed that yesterday and was wondering if this could be a problem is bass. I've been playing bass for a few months and have never noticed that until now, because it felt just natural. Also, Replying to geddeeee's post, I highly agree.

13. Mushroo

Mushroo

14. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Similar to what you're experiencing, when I first started, my pinky followed my third finger around like a lost puppy. It took a couple of years to get my pinky fully functional, and many more years for it to become as adept as the other three.

This is something that takes time, and you really need to take the time, or you can hurt yourself...

Add this to your practice routine, just a couple of minutes, at first, and increasing over time, and I mean, a lot of time...

One finger one fret. Chromatic with all four fingers. Start with this higher up the neck - say frets 9-12 - higher or lower as is comfortable for you. Once you're happy with the results, move it down a fret. Then, another. Also, play patterns with just fingers 2 and 3, and fingers 3 and 4.

This will be very slow and frustrating, at first. But, don't beat yourself up. Just take your time, and don't push it. The results will be worth it, I promise.

15. KingDavid

KingDavid

I will try these exercises, as my fingers are still quite weak. I will take as much time as it takes to perfect my technique, because I love bass, and I'm looking forward to it.

16. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Check out this video that Fergie posted last month.

As at least one other person commented in that thread, I thought it would be simple until I actually tried it.

17. INTP

INTP

The book "Bass Fitness" takes idea this even further. This book is worth the price and time, if you are interested in finger independence.

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Fitness-Exercising-Handbook-Guitar/dp/0793502489

Using this book made a huge difference in my fingering hand dexterity.