2- Ampeg B115E Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dubstylee, Nov 11, 2008.

1. dubstylee

dubstylee

What's up, I was wondering if I could get a little friendly advice. I have been trying to find my sound for a while now, I've found the right bass and head, yet I'm still trying to find the right cabs. My current setup is Genz Benz GBE600 with a Peavey 410tx. The styles I play are Reggae(Dub,Rocksteady,Roots), Blues, and Funk. I believe my Peavey is on it's last legs, and it needs some new speakers. Rather than change them, I feel like it's a nice time to get a new cab(s). I was looking into a 210+115 setup, but today in the music store, I played 2- Ampeg B115E's stacked. To be honest, they sounded pretty beautiful, I enjoyed the bloom, yet they still sounded articulate for 15's. I figure they would compliment reggae quite nicely, I'm just thinking if they would be good for the long haul. Anyways, your thoughts and advice are appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Jazzman

Jazzman

I am a huge fan of the dual 1x15" cabinets...they serve me extremely well. If you played them and the sounded good to you, go for it. Trust your ears. ;)
  3. brettf

brettf

i dont know what the difference between the b115e and the svt15e is (other than price). But id say unless the b115e is made out of particle board... go for it!
  4. dubstylee

dubstylee

the Ampeg site says there built from baltic birch plywood, I assume good quality. Yeah, I really seemed to enjoy the vintage vibe from them. I'm not really into the modern hi-fi sounding rigs. I had bought Genz Benz neox212t cab, it just wasn't for me. It just didn't thump the way I wanted it to. A lot of people love them, but like Jazzman said, you have to trust your ears. I think I am going to pull the trigger and go pick them up tomorrow. Now I have cabs for sale. Thanks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dubstylee

dubstylee

By the way Jazzman, what kind of 115 cabs do you use?
  7. dubstylee

dubstylee

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

Dub, I heard a bassist recently using a Ampeg SVT tube head into two 1-15 Ampeg Classic cabs with an old "4" jazz. No P.A. support, 5 pcs. blues/old rock group.
    He had one of the best out front sound I've ever heard.
  9. dubstylee

dubstylee

I'm really leaning towards picking them up! Thanks for the input
  10. brettf

brettf

try an svt15e, id like to know if theres any difference between it and the b115e

maybe ull like it better:eek:
  11. dubstylee

dubstylee

What would be everyone's opinion of an Acoustic B115 vs. the Ampeg B115E, what do you think the difference in quality would be? Tone/Quality?
  12. RCCollins

RCCollins

I know this is a bit old, but what exactly IS the difference between the B115E and the SVT15E?

Anyone?
  13. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Thread up.

could anyone post some pictures of B115E here ?
  14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

It's on Ampeg's website ... the primary difference is the wattage. B115E at 200w RMS and 400 peak.

I've used one for about 6 months now with a GK Backline 600. Definitely a "value priced" rig. Well made cabs. Sounded great for the country/swing stuff I was doing. Got into some blues, and some outdoor gigs and picked up a minty, used B410HE. Now, running the two 8 ohm cabs lets the amp run at 300w into 4 ohms The amp sounds much better, and the tone is great. And volume is more than I need.
  15. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Yeah I know there is.

But I'd like to see some user photos - they always look beter than ones on ampeg's site ;)

I just sold my beloved B-200R and I'm looking for cab to replace it.
    I didn't like SVT15 - to much highs.
    I'm looking for something oldschool and thumpy, but at reasonable price.
  16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

2 15's is a beautiful thing. But, as you're using a GB head, consider also a GB Uber 212. To my ears, it has alot of the same tonal charicteristics as a 215, in a relatively lightweight, single box design. Otherwise, what you've got going seems to be working for you, so forge ahead.

OOps, didn't realise how old this thread was, so,.......nevermind.
  17. dubstylee

dubstylee

I appreciate the extra input after this thread went idle for so long.
  18. mazdah

mazdah

Bump, any more info about B115E cabs?
  19. slickrick63

slickrick63

Let's resurrect this bad boy. So I'm running an Ampeg SVT Classic head through an Ampeg classic 6x10 cab. Definitely suffering in the low end department when I play my Stingray 5. If I simply add the Ampeg 115 to the current rig, will that solve my problem? Someone said I should get another cab just like the one I have. My common sense tells me this will still not alleviate my sub-50 hz issue. Any thoughts?
  20. rodl2005

rodl2005

Adding a single 15" cab to your existing 610 cab will create an enormous mismatch. Not a good idea - it'll be 2'67 ohms(unless the 15" is 4 ohms, then it's a 2 ohm load, but an even bigger power mismatch).
    No saying that the 1x15 cab will handle any lower frequencies than the (already low tuned) 610 cab.
    The SVT 410HLF's apparently tuned even lower than the 610HLF, but I could be wrong
    Lots of threads on here dealing with matching speaker sizes, or not mixing them, check these out first
  21. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

"ampeg classic 6x10 cab"?

do you mean the HLF, with the big ports at the bottom?

if that's not giving you the low end you want, maybe it's time to look at a higher-powered solid state head?