1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2 basses 1 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Truktek2, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

My 7 year old has taken an interest in playing bass :) so I was wondering if it was ok to run two basses into 1 amp via a splitter or mixer for teaching purposes. Would I harm my amp? Or should I just buy a cheapy combo? :what:

2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

It won't harm the amp, but it can be hard to tell who's playing what. Also, remember that if either instrument has the volume turned all the way down, neither will play through the amp. No big deal, but can cause some confusion if you didn't expect that.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

A small mixer will work, but an inexpensive little combo amp would be a better choice.

4. Truktek2

Truktek2

Thanks guys. I guess I'm in the market for a little combo now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A small metal box, two 1/4" Phone sockets, a length of screened cable with a phone plug on the end and two 68KΩ resistors is all you need. This will add up to a small passive mixer that will be a lot cheaper than a combo. You will cause no damage to the amp. Cost around $10-20.

7. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Get her the ba108 ampeg. It is cheap $100 ish I believe and has good tone unlike a lot of the smaller practice amps like the little traynors...they suck

8. zachoff

zachoff

9. jlepre

jlepre

:confused:

10. eriky4003

eriky4003

Truktek2,
    Let me know what bass you go with for the little tyke. My 7 yr old daughter has expressed a similar interest but she couldn't grip the neck to hold a note.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I have to ask how it would be hard to tell who's playing what when there's only two people in the room playing bass ;)

I'd do a splitter or cheap mixer, but the BA108 is a pretty darn good little practice amp for as cheap as it is.

12. stiles72

stiles72

+1 to a splitter. That's all you need.

Back in the old days, B15's and other amps were designed for to have multiple instruments run through them at the same time - bass, guitar, accordian, vocals or whatever you needed.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

What I described is basically the input circuitry for all Fender, and many other makes, tube amps. It's a simple project to assemble and will get the OP's 7YO introduced to the electronics that make our instrument possible.

14. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

You can find a used ABY pedal for $30 pretty easily. It'll do the trick.

15. Truktek2

Truktek2

Thanks for all the info guys, now I'm leaning towards a mixer. I figure it's cheaper and take up less room.:bassist:

I picked this up in candy apple red, she loved it!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-short-scale

It's a short scale so it's easier for her to reach the end of the neck. It's nice, light and small. Craftsmanship left me very impressed for a bass at that price point. I couldn't recommend it enough. I also went to staples and picked up:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/27418582-...part-05795/;_ylt=An3Co_22qnN2YL7l9s22gTdAThoF

I wrote the natural notes on the stickies and placed them all over the neck so she can see where they are. Color coded too!:hyper:

Check this out: