1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2 Combos At Once?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fretlessthrash, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Fretlessthrash

Fretlessthrash

Can you play to combo amps at the same time? Probably a stupid question but I can't figure it out. If you can please someone, walk me through it.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

What two combos?
  3. Fretlessthrash

Fretlessthrash

Any two combos. I have this crappy Kona 10- 10 watt bass combo, and a a fender rumble 60. Just wondering if I could connect the two in any way possible.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Yep, you sure can, but just like B-string asked - which two combos are you talking about?
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Does your Rumble 60 have a line out? I'm pretty sure they do. My Rumble 75 (that replaced the 60) does. Just take a guitar cable from the line out of the Rumble 60 and into the input of your "crappy Kona 10". Be volume aware/smart and keep your volumes low as you first experiment. The Rumble's line out may be too hot for the input of the Kona. Experiment carefully, and good luck! :)
  6. mambo4

mambo4

I used to run MY SWR working man 15" tuner out into a 12" guitar amp so I could use all mypedals without killing my bass tone. Worked fantastic.
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes. If your combos have pre/post amp in/outs, or effect send/returns can be used to slave two combos together - however, if your combos don't have those jacks you can always use a splitter or A/B/Y switcher.

For example ~

Lehle Splitter.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/lehle-p-split-splitter-guitar-pedal

Radial BigShot switcher.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...neering-tonebone-bigshot-aby-passive-switcher

Note: Both have ISO outputs, and phase, ground lift switches - which IMO are "must have" options.

EDIT: Also, when doing this, make sure both combos are plugged into the same grounded AC outlet.
  8. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Like Mambo4 said, use the Kona as an upper freq, and the rumble for the lows. That way they won't compete with each other. Semi-biamping.
  9. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

Something that I have thought of doing about 8 years ago (but never did) was to buy two Markbass CMD121's (the larger of their two 1x12 combos). I thought I could bring both to the gigs and use one as an extension cab (I would have to unplug one of the combo amps from the cab, of course). This would give me a back up amp if I ever needed it. I get goofy that way, but outside of the goofiness of it, I like the premise. For some reason, I've always felt the need to have a back up amp even though I have never needed one in all my 30+ years of playing.
  10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Don't plug a speaker output from one amp into the input to another amp.

A musical instrument amplifier actually contains 2 amps. A preamp and a power amp.
    The preamp runs at a low wattage compared to the power amp.
    The output from the power amp is super strong and is made to go to speakers. If you send that to a preamp it will most likely get fried.

I used to set a combo behind the drummer so he could hear me.
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+100%. Whatever you do OP, don't do that!!!
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Rumbles don't have an ext. speaker jack. The line out is post EQ and also works as a tuner out as well as sending a signal a mixing board or another amp ;)
  13. Linnin

Linnin

Went over to Fender.com and looked up your owners manual http://support.fender.com/manuals/bass_amplifiers/Rumble_60_OwnersManual_rev-B.pdf

And you have an effects loop = Pre-amp Out & Power-amp In as well as a line out. So you're in very good shape! :bassist:

Just use a standard guitar cable and go from either the pre-amp out or the line out into the input of your Kona, and you're home free! :D

And you are more than welcome at the Fender Rumble Club right here on TalkBass. :)
  14. Fretlessthrash

Fretlessthrash

Thanks for the help guys!
  15. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Why not? Alain Caron tours with 4 of his Markbass combos as his backline. Though I'm sure he uses a pedal(s?) to split his signal to the 4 amps.
  16. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Dumb question, but can you take the signal from the direct out XLR and use an XLR-to-TRS mono cable and put the TRS in the input of the second amp?

(XLR from amp 1 into the TRS [1/4" mono] of amp 2)
  17. Linnin

Linnin

You sure can!:bassist:
  18. TAZ

TAZ

Yes... there are couple of ways and are mentioned above. Personally, I found that 2 of the same combos works really well. When I mixed different company combos and did the line out to drive the second combo, I didn't like the tonal results. I ended up splitting the signal to both amps and eq'd them to sound compatible.
  19. lowend1

lowend1

I do it with two Ampeg B100Rs and a Radial Big Shot.
  20. southpaw723

southpaw723

so if my acoustic b100 and my ampeg ba108 both have effect outs and lineouts, how would I go about connecting them? Just want to see what would happen.