2 finger combo's and dampening

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by macbassman, Aug 24, 2012.

1. macbassman

macbassman

Hello Todd,

I have got your technique builders video. Currently I am busy working out the 2 finger combo's. Legato gives me no problems but with the staccato notes I find myself in trouble.
    If I play the last note before going up with my indexfinger and damp it with my middelfinger, do I have to play the next note with my indexfinger which is then "free"or do I play the next note with my middlefinger by resetting my fingers so there is the index, middle, index, middle alternating?
    Going down seems to me to use the finger that played the last note, which is then a string lower and mute that note with the same finger that dampened the note .
    I am playing for a long time but learned myself a very bad technique which gives me limitations in what I can play. Even an old dog like me has to adjust and learn a proper technique. When my basiscs are ok, I am going to take Skype lessons with a teacher in the Netherlands because where I live at the moment are no bass teachers.

Greetings,

Tjeerd
  2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Man....I'm sorry I'm so slow getting back to you. This post completely slipped by me. Yikes!! Thanks for your patience.

I find myself using the 2nd finger going up.....rather than the "free" one you mentioned.....assuming I'm understanding your question correctly!! : )

Its hard to accurately diagnose this via email....I could show you a lot easier than I can type about it. Sorry about that....

The main point is to right hand mute rather than constantly left hand muting. A mixture of both is what I wind up using. Its the never ending battle to learn to control this wonderful instrument!!

I hope this helps.......