2-in, 1-out mixer pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silky smoove, Mar 5, 2014.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

I need a 2-in, 1-out mixer in pedal form to add to my pedalboard. In my hiphop band I'm adding occasional keys/synth duties to my normal bass obligations. I'd like to route the keyboard to the tail end of my pedalboard, right before my Radial JDI. Ideally I'd be monitoring both bass and keys out of my bass rig (GK MB800 into a nEarful 15/6/1) I see a couple of options, and am curious how everyone else would do it.

I could add an sfx microMix right before the JDI. That would allow the bass to go into input 1, my keyboard to go into input 2, and the output to go into the JDI input. Easy setup, small footprint, but kind of expensive being in the US (north of $200 US after the exchange, plus shipping costs).

I could replace the JDI with Radial's Duplex unit. That would give me an independent DI for each instrument, would allow for a simple setup, but would cause problems with trying to monitor both bass and keys out of the same amplifier.

A small 2-4 channel mixer (Mackie, A&H, etc.) could work, but this is the option I like the least. I prefer it to be something that could live on my pedalboard rather than something that would go on my amp, require an additional power supply, etc. I'm not 100% opposed to the idea if it's really the best way to go, but it's pretty low on the list, if not at the bottom.

I could just stick a 1/4" Y-Cable in the mix, but my assumption is that there would be some impedance differences (keyboard output, versus a bass running through a series of pedals). This is compounded by the fact that I'm frequently using both the bass and the keys at the same time.

So, what would you all do? I'm leaning towards the sfx unit, but would love the same concept in a less expensive version. Wishful thinking perhaps. Thanks!
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    BOSS LS-2 ?
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

THIS! I just got one for when I double DB/BG, and it works great. No noise, no loss of tone, and independent level knobs. Great mixer pedal. Actually thinking about getting a second one for the two pickups on my DB.
  4. Tom Cat

Tom Cat

+1 Boss LS-2
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. the explode man

the explode man

Echoing sentiment on LS-2.
  7. silky smoove

I wasn't even aware of the LS-2. That said, after a host of problems with Boss pedals on my very first pedalboard, I'm hesitant to give them any consideration. Whether it's a reasonable assertion or not, and I'm fully aware that it's almost definitely not, I'd rather cough up the considerably higher amount of cash for the sfx microMix than have a Boss pedal on my board. Too much bad history between me and Boss.

Any other suggestions?
  8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I do believe any effects loop pedal can be used as a 2-1 mixer, just don't plug anything into the Send jack.

I'm currently using the Wounded Paw blender for this. About $50 bucks cheaper than the sfx.
  9. silky smoove

Interesting idea. One Control, Wounded Paw, and Lehle all make these types of pedals. I have a Lehle Little Lehle II sitting unused. I'll give that a shot as a no-cost option. Fantastic!
  10. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Honestly the Boss LS2 is probably gonna be your best bet. It's a great sleeper of a pedal that can be the answer to a multitude of issues you might have.
  11. silky smoove

Unfortunately, like I mentioned earlier, I've had bad luck with Boss multiple times in the past, so I've deemed their pedals unacceptable on my board. I'm sure it would do the job, but the company left a bad taste in my mouth, so they're not an option for me.
  12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

A regular blend pedal wouldn't be able to let you mix 100% dry bass volume with the keys added on top btw, it'd be something like half volume of each instrument combined. If this is an issue get the SFX Mix or the Boss.
  13. silky smoove

That hadn't occurred to me. Good thought. I'll set it up with my Lehle tonight and see how it goes.
  14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Well, best of luck. Let us know if you find a pedal that does the same stuff as well as the LS-2 at the same price point. I was looking for a few months, but in the end that one pedal was the best product to perform that task at hand. Seriously though, I'd like to know if there's an alternative, should my pedal fail to live up to the task.
  15. tekhedd

tekhedd Supporting Member

I've been using an LS-2 as a mixer on my pedalboard for several years now. Interesting that you had a host of problems with Boss effects. Sounds like my history with EHX.

Well, I haven't found anything as rugged, compact, suited to a pedalboard, runs on 9V, clean signal path,.. I would suggest something from Rolls but their micro mixers are now all DJ oriented and have specialized wall warts. Possibly a passive mixer, if you don't need to be able to fade to 0?
  16. silky smoove

Thanks guys. Honestly, this little beauty from sfx (http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/micromix/) would do exactly what I want, but the exchange rate makes it a very costly avenue for a simple mixer. That's no fault of the builder (Max), and his work is definitely stellar, but it is an unfortunate reality for me at this point. My suspicion is that I'll end up getting one after all, and it will simply delay the upgrades I have planned for my overdrive and fuzz pedals.
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Depends on the blender. The Wounded Paw has a master volume knob, some have volume knobs for each signal.
  18. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Wow! I was literally just wondering this same thing, as I'm adding a small keyboard to my setup for pads, sound effects, and synth bass.
    But, I didn't want to have to take up another DI input. An LS-2 would let both the bass and keyboard be at full volume (at the same time) without any issues?

I'm not opposed to Boss, I stinkin love em! (But your experience with boss is just like mine with tech21, I've never used a single one of their products that I liked, or that I trusted to really even work properly! Irrational I know, but I'm stickin to it!)

I'd grab an LS-2 for my pedalboard right now if it does what I'm lookin for...