2 Jazz pick-ups in 1 housing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by awilkie84, Mar 10, 2014.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

I have a Fender Modern Player Jazz bass & I want to change the pick-ups. The ones in it are just large humbuckers in a dual jazz housing. I want to put a set of dual jazz pick-ups in that have the option of turning both coils on or off.

Google has let me down as I can only seem to find either REALLY cheap pickups, the pickups I already have, or soap bar housings.

Any ideas?
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

3. awilkie84

I'm fine needing a RWRP setup for each pick-up, but those won't work. They only have single/dual mode (which is what I currently have). I want a p-up that has 3 options. Bucker, outer coil, inner coil.
  4. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

nearly all 4-wire dual-coil humbuckers can be set up bucker/coil 1/coil 2

the trick is simply that when the humbucker is made that the two wires from the end of each coil is brought out for various connection options.
  5. Hopkins

They are a 4 wire humbucker so they can be wired like you want. If only one single coil were selectable then it would be a three wire pickup. Exactly why do you want to be able to select between the two coils? There will be very little noticeable difference if you can hear a difference at all. Series/Single/Parallel might be much more useful.
  6. awilkie84

If this were the case, then the 60s vs 70s Jazz bridge position wouldn't make much of a difference at all, but it does. Basically, I want the tonal variety. Shifting a pick-up by 1/2-3/4" (by switching which coil is on) can make a difference.

Are there any other options on the market, other than the Rios?
  7. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314 Supporting Member

Check out the Delano DJC4 HE/M2's. They are double splitcoil humbuckers.

EDIT: Nevermind, they are a different size.
  8. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

Those Delano's won't fit.

I think Curtis Novak makes one that might work.
  9. awilkie84

It would be nice if those Delanos would fit, but they're definitely too wide. I'd have to re-route the body to accomodate it.

Novak makes 1 double-J, but it's only a 2 lead p-up.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/DualJazz.shtml
  10. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

He seemed pretty responsive to custom work when I emailed him a couple years ago. Shoot him a message and ask.
  11. Hopkins

You could always reverse the polarity on a couple of single coils
  12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Remember that the tonal differences between 60's to 70's aren't just a matter of pickup spacing. Those pickups were wound to different specs using different wire. Ironically the 70's position was established purely for cosmetic reasons so the bridge pickup would be completely concealed by the bridge cover. Tone was never a consideration. Go figure.

Also, in your desired configuration with the two coils being RWRP, one of the coils would not be hum cancelling with the neck pickup.

I prefer dual coils wired with a 3 way toggle for series/parallel/single coil and I like the single coil to be the coil closest to the neck (60's position). There are a ton of usable sounds in this configuration. I even modded my Ken Smith for this switching setup.
  13. awilkie84

Hmm...I get where you're coming from on the RWRP. Is there really a big difference with the Series/Parallel option? Maybe 2 p-ups set up like this would make more sense.
  14. Hopkins

Series/parallel will make a big difference in tone.

This is the best video I could find of the differences in sounds between parallel/single/series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAxs70TYJA

Also, if you decided to go with two single coils, you can reverse the polarity of one of them by making a tool like this
    [​IMG]

You just need two neodymium magnets and a $1.99 clamp from harbor freight. You just turn one of the pickups to where the magnets are resisting each other and force it between the pickups. It will reverse the magnetic charge of the pole pieces. I just simply super glued the magnets to the jaws of the clamp with the south pole of one magnet facing the north pole of the other.
  15. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Can always glue a pair of Model J's together.

[​IMG]

Use a 3-way for Par/Single/Series all no hum.
  16. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Koeda, I always wanted to try that. Glad to hear it works!
  17. archtop2

archtop2

Love that PH config

BTW to get the pickup selection you want, you need two push pull, you'll get a series/parallel/coil1/coil2 selection. From the pickup it must be 4 wires, humbucker or two singles.

I have a Fender DeLuxe HB that support this just requires soldering wires off the intercoil link. From outside it´s different from the modern player and blacktop, having a plain cover.

Never found any spec from neither of them, Would be cool we can compare those and give the coils resistance of them, I need to get a digital ohmmeter for this.
  18. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    +1 !!!
  19. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

:D
    On this one - jus have a push-pull for series/par for the P and JJ.

Here is the 3-way diagram I drew up for the original Schaller p'ups. I flippped the model J's, but don't think you really have to. May help keep the wires mess straight though.

[​IMG]
  20. awilkie84

Why use a push-pull when I can just get a second rotary 4-way? :p Then use 2 concentric pots for vol/tone stacks. :D